Renaming Logic Pro App before Upgrading - still save to hold the former version?

SeleN

Just unsure cause read that only renaming now would not prohibit the new installer version to change. so if simply changing the name of logic pro app to -let’s say- 10.7.8 before upgrading to 10.7.9 and leaving it on its place, the installer will overwrite it to Version 10.7.9 and it’s still named 10.7.8

I personnaly zip em always then place the zipped version to my backup folder leaving the „old“ unzipped version for being midified to the new one.

Are these concerns right ?

38 minutes ago, SeleN said:

Just unsure cause read that only renaming now would not prohibit the new installer version to change. so if simply changing the name of logic pro app to -let’s say- 10.7.8 before upgrading to 10.7.9 and leaving it on its place, the installer will overwrite it to Version 10.7.9 and it’s still named 10.7.8

The steps are:
- *Copy* the "Logic Pro.app" (the copy will be named something like "Logic Pro copy.app"
- Rename the *copy* to "Logic Pro 10.7.8.app"
- Update, which will update your original "Logic Pro.app" to version 10.7.9.

lpx.gif.3d3dff6b344489efd36704ea1ac1c8d8.gif

• Like 1

It's not mandatory to do it that way, it's just the easiest, most direct and problem-free way (imo) of keeping the old version before upgrading, and being able to easily choose which version you want to run.

You could zip them up, move the copies elsewhere etc, but I just do it as above, and then over time, delete the older versions I no longer need.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

but for keeping the older version, you need to create first a copy. if someone‘s just renaming the actual version (without a copy/zip procedure) it’ll be overwritten by the installer i guess ? i don’t really want to complicate things and i always did it the „copy/zip“ way. thanks again for your precise answer !