Flex Pitch very slow and laggy on Logic 10.7

Diego Degli Abbati

Hi all,

I’ve had this issue for a while so I thought I’d try to see if anyone has experienced this as well and if there’s a fix.

Basically, Logic is super slow when processing flex pitch. This makes tuning and aligning vocals very time consuming.

What I’m running:

MBP M1 Max, 64GB, 2TB SSD

OS: 13.4.1 and Logic is 10.7.9 (HOWEVER I’ve had this issue even when I was on Monterey and I believe the issue may have started with Logic 10.7.4).

I made a video  (see below YT link) showing the issue: every time I select a note in the Flex Pitch region, I immediately get the spinning wheel and after a few seconds I can actually move the note. As I select another note, the same happens.

At the end of the video I show the audio settings - for this test video, I used the built in Mac audio device, and there are no external devices connected.

I noticed that every time I click on a note, Logic’s CPU usage spikes from 25-30% to 70-75%.

It’s worth noting:

1. This issue doesn’t happen if I open the Flex Pitch editor window (rather than editing Flex Pitch in the Track Window). I do need to use the Track Window to align the vocal tracks to each other using Flex Pitch.

2. This issue doesn’t happen - or at least it’s not so bad - when I have an empty project and just a couple of tracks with Flex Pitch on. Of course this is not very helpful as the projects I work on can have many tracks with audio flex.

3. The issue still happens also when I’m running Logic with Rosetta.

4. I wasn’t able to pinpoint a specific plug-in that might create an issue. I mainly use Waves, Soundtoys and Izotope. The issue still happens if I turn all the tracks off and disable all plug-ins.

5. As I work in a team, I cannot alter my workflow all that much. I didn’t have this problem before, and my colleagues who work with less powerful machines are not experiencing this issue.

I would greatly appreciate any support or possible fixes as this has been driving me mad!

Many thanks,

Diego

TEST VIDEO:

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Glad to have found this thread, as I am having the same problem! And I just bought a brand new Mac mini M2 last fall (32 GB Ram, 10 cores). Running latest version of Sonoma and LPX but Flex pitch is impossible to work with due to the lag issue. Just moving around to different sections of a song is anything but smooth and the delay between a right click and selecting set to perfect pitch is a good 4-5 seconds. Any possible resolution on this? 

• 4 weeks later...

This is driving me crazy too. I'm running a small session with fewer plugins. I deactivated all the tracks but the vocal track and the problem persists. It's not CPU or memory related apparently. 

But when I open a different session it didn't happen, Flex Pitch runs smoothly. For me, it happens when Logic show the notes on a Flex Pitch situation. If I zoom out enough for them not to show Logic runs alright. 

Maybe there's a function or option activated somewhere that's causing this glitch. I copied the session to my MacBook Pro 2019 Intel and the same problem occurs. So, as far as now, is session dependent.

I don't think they have rolled out an update yet, but the last LPX update or one prior caused this. It kinda freaked me out because I had just bought the new Mac Mini and everything seemed to be working great. I had not used flex pitch in a while and when I did I could barely work with it. Let's hope this is resolved soon.