Please help with midi not playing back in sync

Composerdan
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

Hi all:   First of all let me say thank you to anyone that reaches out to me to give me some help.  I truly appreciate your time and desire to help others.  

Now:  I am using a drumkit in Logic and when I play the part in during a recording, I am playing it perfectly in time, but when I go to listen back to it, it isn't even close to playing back in time.  This is so frustrating and it is costing me so much time.  I read on the net about turning off something about latency in the preferences and I tried that, but it did nothing.  I'm sure someone here with all your Logic knowledge knows what my problem is.  If you can explain it to me in easy terms I would really appreciate it.  I am including a screenshot of the drum track which was played in time, but doesn't play back in time.  I don't know if it is beneficial to you, but I thought I'd try it.  It looks to be in time, but  doesn't play back that way.DrumPart.thumb.png.5d03b8c5de538c62cdb6a2637500ede7.png

Thanks so much

Dan

Are you using plugins in the project? If so, these are liking causing latency. Try low latency mode, or as a test, *removing* (not bypassing) all plugins, and see whether your drumming is in sync.

Generally, if you are using plugins, then recording things, what you're *hearing* is later than it occurs because plugin processing is delaying it, and therefore, when you play alongside the delayed signal you're monitoring, your recording is out of time.

Generally, try to record without having plugins on busses and the mix bus, or if that's not possible, then use low latency mode to temporarily disable latency-inducing plugins while recording (this is what it's for.)

Or you can play along in a different project to a rendered bounce, with no plugins at all, and move the recordings back to the original project if you prefer.

Edited by des99

What interface are you using, and how is it routed? Can you do a screenshot of your audio driver settings (buffer sizes etc)

I can't really tell much from your screenshot other than your drumming has about the same sort of timing as mine... 😉 It doesn't look delayed so much, the kicks are on the downbeat, the snares on the backbeat. Are you a new drummer, or an experienced one? What timing are you expecting?

On 7/24/2023 at 12:30 PM, des99 said:

What interface are you using, and how is it routed? Can you do a screenshot of your audio driver settings (buffer sizes etc)

I can't really tell much from your screenshot other than your drumming has about the same sort of timing as mine... 😉 It doesn't look delayed so much, the kicks are on the downbeat, the snares on the backbeat. Are you a new drummer, or an experienced one? What timing are you expecting?

ScreenShot2023-07-25at9_26_22PM.thumb.png.8779ab06b9e7c4409cd476755050c4bc.pngI am using the Focurite Scarlet 212 it's routed straight into my mac through the USBC port.

ScreenShot2023-07-25at9_29_39PM.thumb.png.cbcd7ed6dfa36b6c7b23166a500ac2b8.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 9.30.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 9.31.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 9.31.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 9.32.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 9.33.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-25 at 9.34.14 PM.png

I hope this helps someone help me.  I sure appreciate anything that you can do.  This is extremely frustrating!!!  I know I'm playing manually in time, but it just doesn't sound back that way and yes it looks like it is in time on the midi scrolling, but the sound is way off.

Thanks everyone

Dan

Hey, Thanks all and especially David for bringing that again to my attention.  It seems to have solved the issue.  I want you all to know how much I appreciate your help and being willing to do so.  I only hope that down the road I can help one of you at least a little.

Thanks again

Dan

• Like 1