Recommendations: When doing a clean installation of the OS?

zestyOrange

EDIT: I'VE UPDATED THIS POST WITH THE RESPONSES, SO IT WILL SERVE AS A GUIDE FOR ANYONE ELSE WANTING TO DO THIS

Hi. I'm contemplating a clean reinstallation of the operating system. I have made a number of changes in Logic that I'd very much like to restore. Can you let me know if I'm overlooking anything, or if you have other suggestions:

• Plugin Manager Settings: I've spent a long time organising my plugins. If I'm not mistaken the best way to transfer these is to save a copy of ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Databases and replace that entire folder once I've reinstalled everything

• User Patches: Again, these are essential to me. It sounds like saving a copy of ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Patches/Instrument  and replacing that folder once I've reinstalled everything will do the trick

• Key Commands: Looks like these can be saved out as a .logikcs file, and reimported

• General Settings: (EDIT: Thanks @des99
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs

• 3rd Party Presets~/Library/Audio/Presets/ (EDIT: Thanks @des99)

• Other: Overall it looks like the whole of ~/Music/Audio Music is worth backing up (and then replacing?) as it contains project templates, channel-strip settings, plug-in settings etc/

• Plugins: I guess you could always copy across the actual plugins in /MacHD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins too, if you didn't want to ensure clean instals of those. 

Anything I'm missing?

Edited by zestyOrange
I'VE UPDATED THIS POST WITH THE RESPONSES, SO IT WILL SERVE AS A GUIDE FOR ANYONE ELSE WANTING TO DO THIS
  • Like 1

You'll need your Logic preferences:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs

The infohelper stuff is related to your audio plugins, you don't need to preserve those.

Third-party plugin presets are:

~/Library/Audio/Presets/ (if you have presets for third-party plugins.)

(If you make a backup of your current system before making changes, you can always go back and grab a file or two you missed and realise you needed from the backup.)

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

I can no longer edit the original post to add these additional points:

• Depending how your system is set up you may have user presets in both Library/Audio/Presets as well as ~Library/Audio/Presets (i.e. [username]/Audio/Presets)

• Many plugin makers also save user presets into ~Documents (Native Instruments, for example)

• If you are restoring files from a backup disk  you may not appear to have access to ~/Library/ files. However, pressing COMMAND + SHIFT + PERIOD should reveal hidden folders like the user library - you may wish to double-check this before wiping your computer
Edited by zestyOrange
Adding extra info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeRobinson said:

"Reinstalling the operating system" won't help you here. 

I can only assume you're misreading the situation? I have a Time Machine backup as well as a CCC backup of the system. I want to do a clean install of the Operating System, and when I reinstall Logic I want to ensure it is functioning just as it is now, hence wanting to know exactly which files I need to port over to the new installation, before I wipe the machine.

• 2 weeks later...