All plugin data deleted after hitting "Save As" to save duplicate project under a different name

kashkyle

I was working on a song today and during the mixing process, I kept getting the "system overload" message so I consolidated my project by bouncing out any tracks with regions on separate tracks that could be combined, then hitting "Save As" to save the new consolidated project under a different name so it would be separate from the original project with all the recording data. I hit the "duplicate track" button on the tracks I had made edits to so all of my plugin data should have remained the same, but when I began to mix the new consolidated project it sounded completely different so I clicked on my plugins and realized that the settings on every plugin had been reset to default, meaning I just lost hours of work for seemingly no reason.

To make matters worse, I didn't bother to save the mixing edits I made on the original project because I figured I'd only really need it in case I needed to get/fix any of the original recording data, so I can't even go back to it and save the plugin data I had worked on then transfer it over.

Why did this happen? I am beyond frustrated right now, I've saved projects with a different name so it makes a new project countless times and I've never had this happen. Is it just a glitch? Did I inadvertently press something?

Don't see why it would matter but I'm using all Waves + Logic stock plugins because I know someone will ask

Hi kashkyle,

Can't really say why this happened, but if it's a bug it would help if you provided the following for others to try and reproduce:

• Machine specs.
  • Exact version of macOS
  • Exact version of Logic 
5 hours ago, kashkyle said:

To make matters worse, I didn't bother to save the mixing edits I made on the original project because I figured I'd only really need it in case I needed to get/fix any of the original recording data, so I can't even go back to it and save the plugin data I had worked on then transfer it over

So does this mean that you had not saved the original project at any point in time where your plugins (or at least some) were already set as you had them before saving a new copy of your project?

J.

7 hours ago, kashkyle said:

To make matters worse, I didn't bother to save the mixing edits I made on the original project because I figured I'd only really need it in case I needed to get/fix any of the original recording data, so I can't even go back to it and save the plugin data I had worked on then transfer it over.

You have to save. Lots. And keep lots of intermittent Logic project files.

For this you should definitely save your projects as folders instead of packages. Keeping 20 or even 40 project files around doesn't hurt you one bit, given that you do it systematically and document it correctly, so you know what's going on.

Loosing work is much worse than being disciplined about your file management.