Inconsistent CC 120 on playback reset with external instrument plug-in

Twister

If I position the playhead before a MIDI note and start the playback, resetting the playback after the MIDI note by clicking the play button or pressing enter will inconsistently trigger a CC 120 (all sound off) message if repeated often enough. This CC message will instantly mute any decaying sound coming from the external instrument. 

To reproduce:

• Create an External MIDI instrument with external instument plug-in. 
  • MIDI destination must be set to something. I have it set to USB MIDI Device (an audio interface with MIDI I/O). Having an actual instrument is not required, but it can provide auditive feedback that helps identifying the issue. 
  • Create a region with a note on the first beat. It can be 1/16th for example, although the length shouldn't matter. 
  • Position the playhead 1-2 beats before the region/note so that you have enough time to observe MIDI out messages.
  • Start the playback.
  • After the note has played, without stopping, keep resetting the playback repeatedly by clicking on the play button or pressing enter. The playhead must reach the MIDI note between repeats. 
  • Watch the MIDI out display, MIDI CC 120 should appear randomly. 

With an External MIDI instrument without external instrument plug-in this does not occur. With this the CC 120 is sent consistently every time, which I think should be intended behavior (although I'd like it to be optional). 

Logic Pro 10.7.9

Mac OS 13.4.1

Hi Twister,

Although I agree this behavior should probably be optional, it is not a bug and it is not inconsistent. You need to test with a better monitoring tool than Logic's MIDI Activity Display. I recommend you use Snoize's MIDI Monitor for this.

I noticed this CC 120 recently and wondered when this was introduced. Turns out it's been there since Logic 10.5. And as far as I can tell the behavior is exactly the same with "classic" External MIDI tracks and Software Instrument tracks with the External Instrument plugin.

J.