Quantize broken in Step Editor

Twister

Quantizing events doesn't work in Step Editor. 

To reproduce: 

• Create a region
  • Open Step Editor
  • Create a lane
  • Write an event
  • Set the timing of the event slightly offbeat for example using the Event List
  • Select the Quantizing accuracy in Step Editor to 1/4 or similar
  • Make sure the event is selected and from Functions select "Quantize Events" (or press Q)

The event is not quantized. 

Logic Pro 10.7.9

Mac OS 13.4.1

38 minutes ago, Twister said:

Select the Quantizing accuracy in Step Editor to 1/4 or similar

How are you doing this in the step editor? There is no such parameter that I can see.

If you're talking about the "Grid" setting on a per lane basis, this is not a quantise parameter, this is a note entry grid. Selecting the grid to be 1/4 and doing a Quantise event won't quantise those selected events to 1/4.

40 minutes ago, des99 said:

How are you doing this in the step editor? There is no such parameter that I can see.

If you're talking about the "Grid" setting on a per lane basis, this is not a quantise parameter, this is a note entry grid. Selecting the grid to be 1/4 and doing a Quantise event won't quantise those selected events to 1/4.

The one in the Region section on the left. 

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 0.28.40.png

Region parameter quantising works for me as normal here. This is non-destructive and applied in realtime though, and is different from the destructive "Quantise" command in the menus (most of the editors have desrtructive quantisation, in addition to the region parameter non-destructive quantisation).

Kapture2023-07-30at22_47_09.gif.eeff1487e635ac422e7e4f082e07590c.gif

Also - region quantisation only applies to notes, not volume events and other CCs...

Edited by des99

1 hour ago, des99 said:

Region parameter quantising works for me as normal here. This is non-destructive and applied in realtime though, and is different from the destructive "Quantise" command in the menus (most of the editors have desrtructive quantisation, in addition to the region parameter non-destructive quantisation).

Kapture2023-07-30at22_47_09.gif.eeff1487e635ac422e7e4f082e07590c.gif

Also - region quantisation only applies to notes, not volume events and other CCs...

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my initial post that the issue occurs with control change events only. If region quantization doesn't and shouldn't apply to CC events, then I guess we can forget about that (although I'd like to know why). 

However, the Functions > Quantize Events (Q) command still doesn't work with CC events in Step Editor. Is that by design too? 

1 hour ago, Twister said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my initial post that the issue occurs with control change events only. If region quantization doesn't and shouldn't apply to CC events, then I guess we can forget about that (although I'd like to know why). 

However, the Functions > Quantize Events (Q) command still doesn't work with CC events in Step Editor. Is that by design too? 

Real-time quantisation only works on notes, yes, in the region parameters. Otherwise quantisation applied to recorded CC data, pitchbend, aftertouch etc would sound weird.

You can destructively quantise controllers and other MIDI events in the Event List, or the Piano Roll (make sure "Include Non-Note MIDI Events" is checked in the Functions menu before then choosing "Quantise Notes").

This *is* a bit misleading though imo, as in the Step Editor, the destructive quantise setting is called "Quantize Events", rather than "Quantise Notes" like it is in the piano roll, leading to the belief it *should* quantize all MIDI events, not just notes. But it only does notes here...

Edited by des99