How to solve the TAP TEMPO count?

João Victor Salles

Hello everyone, first of all sorry for the English, I'm Brazilian and this is not my native language.

So, I need to have 4 touches for Logic to start the PlayHead, but the strange thing is that during the PlayHead running this rule of 4 touches no longer exists, I can press at any moment a single time that Logic already identifies some random time.

I need this feature identifying a new tempo every 4 taps as I will need it to sync the Delay in our live shows and also in live recordings using Logic.
I have attached a video below for a better understanding, thank you very much everyone!

EDIT: I am not able to upload the video, because the Limit of the Forum is 1.95mb 😞 

CapturadeTela2023-08-01as08_19_59.png.894f3e90c39f0d279772ba2d6d71c6f4.png

3 minutes ago, João Victor Salles said:

So, I need to have 4 touches for Logic to start the PlayHead, but the strange thing is that during the PlayHead running this rule of 4 touches no longer exists, I can press at any moment a single time that Logic already identifies some random time.

Correct. When Logic isn't running, it needs to work out an initial tempo reference, which is why you need more taps for Logic to do this.

Once Logic is playing, it already has an idea of what the tempo is, so now just single taps tapping along with the beat are all Logic needs to "guide" Logic and keep it on tempo.

I'm not aware of an ability to change the behaviour to what you require. You can't stop Logic to calculate the next tempo? You want to potentially change the tempo significantly while Logic is playing something?

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, des99 said:

Correto. Quando o Logic não está rodando, ele precisa calcular uma referência de andamento inicial, e é por isso que você precisa de mais toques para que o Logic faça isso.

Uma vez que o Logic está tocando, ele já tem uma ideia de qual é o tempo, então agora apenas toques únicos tocando junto com a batida são tudo o que o Logic precisa para "guiar" o Logic e mantenha-o no tempo.

Não tenho conhecimento de uma capacidade de alterar o comportamento para o que você precisa. Você não pode parar o Logic para calcular o próximo tempo? Você deseja potencialmente alterar significativamente o tempo enquanto o Logic está tocando alguma coisa?

Thanks a lot for the answer then... It's because most of the time I'm recording and mixing a Live Band in Logic, if I stop PlayHead I believe the recording might also stop.

About his answer citing the reason after he's playing to identify "random" BPMs was a good observation, I hadn't thought of that!

But I already leave here another question, is there any way for Tap Tempo to start without the PlayHead starting to run?
I've used several DAWs that you simply mark the time and PlayHead doesn't start and also updates the time every 4 Taps, but I'm suffering with this in Logic Pro.

Edited by João Victor Salles

1 minute ago, João Victor Salles said:

It's because most of the time I'm recording and mixing a Live Band in Logic, if I stop PlayHead I believe the recording might also stop.

Ah, I see.

There may well be another utility or plugin or phone app etc that you can use to identify the tempo - so while recording, you tap along a button, it tells you "114bpm", and then you can manually change Logic to that tempo.

Or, perhaps find a utility that tells you what milisecond delay time to set the delay to to get a delay time that matches that tempo, so instead of changing Logic's tempo, just change the delay time in the plugin (non-synced). (This works best if you only have one delay being used, of course.)

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, des99 said:

Entendo.

Pode muito bem haver outro utilitário, plug-in ou aplicativo de telefone, etc., que você pode usar para identificar o andamento - portanto, durante a gravação, toque em um botão, ele informa "114bpm" e, em seguida, você pode alterar manualmente o Logic para esse andamento.

Ou, talvez, encontre um utilitário que informe o tempo de atraso em milissegundos para definir o atraso para obter um tempo de atraso que corresponda a esse tempo; portanto, em vez de alterar o tempo do Logic, apenas altere o tempo de atraso no plug-in (não sincronizado). (Isso funciona melhor se você tiver apenas um atraso sendo usado, é claro.)

I thought so too, but I use two Delays, both in HOST (Daw Time), one in 1/4 and the other in 1/4t.
How disappointed I am with Logic hahahahaha!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lookatthisguy said:

I'm not fully grasping what the goal is here, but might not MainStage be an option?

The OP is doing live band recording. You can't do that in Mainstage.

(Unless you mean also running Mainstage to calculate tap tempos during each song change, but a simple app like the one David recommended above is probably simpler to do that in than run another large app on the recording machine...)

Edited by des99