AUPreset Save Location for 3rd Party Plugins? Can someone confirm

zestyOrange

[Ventura 13.5 | Logic 10.7.9 | Rosetta on M2 Studio]

It would be great if someone could remind me of the default behaviour for this action ...

1. Open any 3rd party audio FX plugin that doesn't have existing user presets
  2. From the plugin window dropdown (see screenshot) choose FILE → SAVE AS (if you don't have any presets the SAVE option is greyed out)
  3. See where it tries to save the .AUPreset file

BUG?
After a clean installation of everything (OS/Logic/Plugins etc) the save location I'm being given is the root of ~DOCUMENTS
I thought it used to automatically create a folder for you with the plugin name somewhere - obviously if all presets are in the same location and you forget to create a subfolder you won't know which plugin the preset is for. I didn't create AUPresets that often, but from the look of my backups when I did, folders were created. I certainly don't recall creating them myself). At the moment it seems like it is up to me to create a folder with the plugin name. 

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 12.38.46.png

Edited by zestyOrange

When you install and first run a plugin, it (or Logic, I forget who is responsible for creating that folder offhand) should create the appropriate preset folder. I've watched and verified this behaviour with my third-party plugins. This is not something the user has to do.

If you have permissions issues and the plugin cannot create the preset folder (I'm not sure, but I think you've previously had permission issues on your system, iirc?), then when Logic tries to open the file selector on that folder, it doesn't exist, fails, and the file selector likely just defaults to a macOS standard location.

You should create the appropriately named preset folder, make sure Logic has permissions to write to it, restart Logic and navigate a Save procedure to that folder (if necessary), and from then on you *should* be good.

Edited by des99

Thanks @des99. There shouldn't be any permissions issues on this build - everything is a default installation (literally every single plugin and every bit of software is a clean install of the latest version). Logic also has full disk access.

Are those plugin folders you're referring to in Audio Music Apps by default, or are the in various locations depending on the plugin?

Yes, on my old build I seemed to have all the folders for the plugins. Perhaps it's a Ventura issue (seems to be locked down very tightly, which is a bit of a pain).

10 minutes ago, zestyOrange said:

Are those plugin folders you're referring to in Audio Music Apps by default, or are the in various locations depending on the plugin?

No, third-party AU presets are stored in ~/Library/Audio/Presets/ (then there is a folder for each plugin developer, and folders inside that for each plugin from that developer.)

eg ~/Library/Audio/Presets/KORG/WAVESTATION/

(That's the Library folder in your user/home folder, which may be hidden by default on new systems.)

Edited by des99
  • Like 1