Do I need to write varispeed adjustments to my tracks before I proceed?

m-m-m

I'm working on an old song (imported from a Korg standalone DAW) and part of the reason the song was abandoned (did I mention we recorded these tracks 10 years ago?) is that the drums were too slow. Now that the tracks (about 35) are all imported I"ve used varispeed to push the speed up 4% and it's sitting where I want it. Then I started to think that maybe working on a project with varispeed on the whole time could become an issue with RAM or have other unforeseen consequences. How should I proceed with writing this 4% speed increase to the tracks? It occurs to me that I could bounce all the tracks one by one (or maybe bounce in place?), but maybe there's an easier way. If I have to bounce the files, I'll probably just start over and import those into a new project ... just in the name of keeping things tidy

Wait … is this how I should do it?

File > Bounce > And Replace All Tracks.

Turns out, no that won't work. It appears that the only time varispeed gets used on a bounce is when you bounce the project, not BIP

Do I need to approach this 4% speed increase in another way? 

10 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I would try to enable Flex and choose the preferred algo for each audio track then change the project tempo. If that sounds good, I would proceed that way. 

I thought you might say that. I'm pretty unfamiliar with flex time stuff. I think I found you and another member outlining the procedure here

I already used smart tempo to give me a beat by beat tempo map. I can redo the tempo map if I have to ... could reseting the tempo map to a constant tempo make it easier for flex time and give me better results?

Is leaving flextime on for 35 tracks going to be a drag on my system as I move forward? Will I be able to bounce the results, or does flextime automatically create a new bounce version? Since this is the foundation of the song I want to make sure everything's as solid and bulletproof as possible before I start layering new tracks

21 minutes ago, stratquebec said:

Just a thought here…

If you’re satisfied with your mix and are ready to « print it» then why not bounce your project with varispeed engaged and then  import the resulting stereo file in a new project and start adding new tracks from there?

I’m not satisfied with the mix. I’m working with raw files. I’ve got drums and a bunch of scratch tracks that need to be saved. I’d rather bounce all the tracks individually than move forward with a sub mix

thanks for your suggestion

Edited by m-m-m
  • Like 1