Hmmm - all my audio recording are looped!

JJHP3
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi Folks

This is a recent oddity, meaning mid-project started 07/30. First symptom is that when started to record, the regions are endless loops of the region. Then I notice that when I scissor the audio file is also makes an endless series of copies. Didn't start that way and a new project doesn't have that "feature." It doesn't repeat when doing MIDI recordings, just audio. What did I do? I looked extensively for what might cause this and am perplexed. I DO use an external keyboard to hit record in LPX and sometimes might hit the wrong keys?? My OS is 12.6.8 and LPX is the latest.

Thx, John

• Solution

Deselect all regions, and uncheck "Loop" in the Audio region defaults.

This is a feature - any settings you set here, will be applied to all audio regions you create (there is a similar mechanic for MIDI regions). This lets you set default parameters, like quantisation etc, without having to tediously change each region after you've recorded it.

When you select one or more regions, you're altering those parameters independently for just those regions, rather than setting the defaults for all regions.

On my system latest Kontakt usually does not recieve key strokes when searching for a library name, Logic keeps recieving them so I turned on looping a lot by mistake without realizing, among other changes to the project 🙂

Maybe something like that happened.

Edited by ozinga

9 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

In the Region inspector, at the top left of the main window: 

Screen Shot 2023-08-05 at 1.20.50 PM.png

Thanks, yeah I did that by checking all tracks individually. I was looking for an overall default control. No biggie if there isn't. I know what it is now and have resaved my templates without this 'feature' (which I don't recall enabling) disabled.

2 minutes ago, kat888 said:

Thanks, yeah I did that by checking all tracks individually. I was looking for an overall default control. No biggie if there isn't.

As said above, if you *deselect* all regions, you can adjust the defaults, which are applied automatically for new recordings.

If you want to change the existing settings on regions already recorded, select all your regions, and uncheck the Loop checkbox, and it will set that parameter for all the selected regions.

Edited by des99

1 hour ago, des99 said:

As said above, if you *deselect* all regions, you can adjust the defaults, which are applied automatically for new recordings.

If you want to change the existing settings on regions already recorded, select all your regions, and uncheck the Loop checkbox, and it will set that parameter for all the selected regions.

Sorry, yes, this is where I had the problem. I deselected everything and then looked for where I should set the defaults and came up blank.

Also I noticed earlier when I was trying to trim/copy a section of a 'track' (sorry I still talk in tape language), the loop function had reenabled and I had to disable it again. I expect that may be related to the default settings. It didn't do this previously (a few months ago when I was mixing our last release).

Thanks everyone for assistance so far.

Kat

I'd like to thank all who replied. The answer of un-checking loop in regions worked. However, the project wherein this was a problem was all summing folders. I had no luck choosing an audio track within one of those folders. There was one audio track outside of a folder that I use to capture sound then drag into folders. THAT track had the loop function on and now I'm back to "normal" recording. Again, thanks all!  - John

2 minutes ago, JJHP3 said:

There was one audio track outside of a folder that I use to capture sound then drag into folders. THAT track had the loop function on

If you want to change the audio defaults, you just need to select an audio track (any audio track, it doesn't matter which one), and have no regions selected. The region inspector will show the "Audio Defaults" and you can change the defaults there. The defaults are not track or region based.

As soon as you select a region, the region inspector instead displays the parameters for that region.

Well, no offense, but what I said, and experienced, is not what you are saying. Selecting an audio track in a summing folder was NOT the solution. I had to find an audio track outside of a summing folders where loop was checked, no regions selected, then I could reset the default. But hey, you're the expert! All I care about is now my project works as expected.

1 hour ago, JJHP3 said:

Selecting an audio track in a summing folder was NOT the solution

When you had selected this audio track inside a summing stack, and verified that no regions were selected, what were the region parameters displaying? The parameters for an unselected region? Nothing?

I'll check the behaviour here...

Edit: I just checked, and I get the expected behaviour here - selecting any audio track, inside or outside the summing stack, with no regions selected results in the region parameters displaying the Audio Defaults, as expected.

Edited by des99

On 8/6/2023 at 1:17 AM, kat888 said:

Sorry, yes, this is where I had the problem. I deselected everything and then looked for where I should set the defaults and came up blank.

@kat888 That's exactly what I answered with my screenshot earlier, where all regions are deselected. The Region Inspector then shows "Audio Defaults" (notice the title on my screenshot), and the red arrow points to the parameter you should change.