Bricked Logic Pro 10.5.1 After Installing Izotope Updates

rickenbacker360
Go to solution Solved by rickenbacker360,

Using latest Izotope Product Portal I Installed 4–5 Updates (not upgrades) on Mac OS Mohave 10.14.6.

At firstLogic opening after that, I got a weird message that something had crashed. I did not get the name. It went by fast and was cryptic.

Now, I cannot open Logic at all. I see the scan dialog in the splash screen followed by "Logic (not responding)" in the Force Quit dialog.

Cold restarts, etc. No good

I have a support request in with Izotope. They are slammed... may be awhile.

Apple support is useless... "upgrade the OS and get a newer Logic version."

I don't know what to do.

Any advice/help is most appreciated.

Temporarily remove the plugins you installed out of the Audio Units Components folder.

Either:

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/
or
~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/

Reboot, then run Logic. Assuming that works as before, you can add the new plugins back in one by one until you find the ones that don't work...

It's possible updates to plugins you installed aren't compatible with your macOS version, so check the compatibility requirements of the ones you're having problems with, and stick to older versions for those that are compatible.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

Thanks des99.

I've pulled all the recently installed plugins and Logic launched just fine. Since I have a recent backup (yay!) I've copy/pasted from the Components folder and they seem to work.

I've received installers for older versions from iZotope tech support and am awaiting an answer if the copy/paste method is ok.

I don't want to run the installers and create yet more incompatibilities.

I will post the final answer when I'm certain. 

• Like 2

• Solution

Up and running. All is well.

However, not much thanks to iZotope tech support. They were more about upgrading my MacOS than answering specific questions I had.

SuperDuper tech support was way more helpful. Still, the internal SSD must have had an issue since I got the dreaded flashing “?” Icon when trying to startup after the restore.

Apple tech support got me up and running with a reinstall of Mohave.

••I CANNOT CALL THIS PROBLEM SOLVED•• in good conscience since I was wanting to know if I could copy/paste plugins from the backup’s /library/audio/plugins/components/ folder. That ultimately failed with Ozone 10 Advanced, causing me to revert to the backup.

All music projects were backed up to externals so no loss there.

One side note (and a heads up to anyone using iZotope’s Product Portal). It is oblivious to the installed MacOS. Had it checked for that, it would/should have indicated the updated plugins were incompatible. Bad programming… but I share the blame for blindly trusting their app.