Logic Pro 10.7.9: Remember 'Enable Patch Merging' Settings For All Tracks

TimeForMusic

Hi All,

I'm just now trying out Logic Pro 10.7.9 after many years of 10.5.1. 

I am saddened to find that the "enable patch merging" window and settings reset whenever you click a new track. A key feature in my template is making it so that only instruments merge every time I load a new track from the library. It would slow things down tremendously if I constantly have to re-open the "enable patch merging" window whenever I want to do this; I would prefer Logic always remember that I just want to merge instruments and not audio effects, sends, etc. 

I am not even sure if this is a bug or just a change Apple thought made more sense. 

I use various plugins for instruments, so saved patches in my library really are the best workflow that I am aware of. 

Can anyone think of a good solution or at least a way to retain the 10.5.1 behavior? 

5 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Perhaps use the "Enable Patch Merging" key command to quickly toggle it back on when needed? 

When I run the key command in the track area of the Main Window, the screen just flashes white. I have to manually click-select the Library window for it to work, which is tricky as I have to avoid accidentally clicking on patches or folders. I assigned option+w for the key command, and I have no other key commands with this assignment. 

I keep my library open in a second Main Window on a second display, but this behavior occurs when I open the library on my primary display/Main Window as well. 

Interestingly, the "search patch" key command does trigger Library search when the track area is selected, but only for the same Main Window's Library.

I would like these commands to activate a Library window that is open on my second display. It seems this would be only possible with a feature to pre-select this window, ideally without having to click it. Would this be possible? 

• 7 months later...
On 8/17/2023 at 8:11 PM, TimeForMusic said:

When I run the key command in the track area of the Main Window, the screen just flashes white. I have to manually click-select the Library window for it to work, which is tricky as I have to avoid accidentally clicking on patches or folders.

I think you can just use "Tab" to switch between the Tracks area and the Library area. Whatch the blue frame, which indicates which area receives the keycommands.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wonshu said:

I think you can just use "Tab" to switch between the Tracks area and the Library area. Whatch the blue frame, which indicates which area receives the keycommands.

This was one of the first things I tried. Sadly this does not work if your Tracks window and Library Browser are open on two separate displays. This would require a "Cycle Through Windows" command before "tab" to jump between windows, then select the library. Sadly the first window to get the "blue frame" may also change based on what's previously selected, meaning it's difficult to build a single macro. The best workaround I have found via Keyboard Maestro is sadly just a "point and click" macro to select the window and pop open patch merging when needed. 

This is still not ideal so very open to other suggestions. 

I see. 😕

You could setup a screenset for only this purpose that's setup with just a main window and the library open and perhaps that way you could tab into it...

But I get it, at that point you're quicker just clicking...

5 minutes ago, wonshu said:

I see. 😕

You could setup a screenset for only this purpose that's setup with just a main window and the library open and perhaps that way you could tab into it...

But I get it, at that point you're quicker just clicking...

Yeah... having to switch to that screenset and back just to tab into the library would be a ton of extra steps. I hate to say it, but it's simply just so much faster to use Logic 10.5.1 where, ahem, this behavior didn't occur, and the library remembered your settings globally no matter what track you select. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TimeForMusic said:

I hate to say it, but it's simply just so much faster to use Logic 10.5.1 where, ahem, this behavior didn't occur, and the library remembered your settings globally no matter what track you select. 

I don't remember the 10.5.1 behavior but I do agree that ideally, the Enable Patch Merging pane should stay open when you select a new track. 

9 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

I do agree that ideally, the Enable Patch Merging pane should stay open when you select a new track. 

Thank you, David! It's reassuring to hear you say that 😁

To recap, here is the side-by-side behavior between 10.5.1 and 10.8.1:

EPM_10.5.1vs10.8.1.gif

• Like 2

Just now, David Nahmani said:

Thank you for that. That definitely shows IMO a bug in 10.8.1. 

Glad to hear that's your take -- I should mention again, though, that it's been doing this since at least 10.7.9 (and I think ever since the 10.7 update in general, maybe even 10.6?), suggesting to me it was an intentional change. But I would LOVE to see this switched back if anyone out there's listening or if there's any way around it...