2 different plugins with the same name.

FLH3

Today I downloaded Glitchmachines' Fracture https://glitchmachines.com/products/fracture/

But but but... I already had Airwindows' Fracture https://www.airwindows.com/fracture-vst/

As a consequence when you install the new Fracture it never appears in Logic, even after relaunching the session.

The method I used is the following:

Before running the installer of the new Fracture, rename the 1st one as FractureAirwindows.component in the component folder.

Open Logic and give a custom/user name to this Fracture, ie "FractureAirwindows". This point seems important as Logics plugin manager can't deal with totaly identical names.

Then now you can run the intaller for the new one and both will appear in the plugin manager.

The order to do the things seems important, I've tried differently  (rename after, don't give a custom name, etc...) and it didn't work.

I don't know if it's the most elegant method to deal with such problem but it worked for me on my 2 macs.

Capture d’écran 2023-08-20 à 10.37.08.png

Capture d’écran 2023-08-20 à 10.37.35.png

Interesting - I wouldn't have thought this is a plugin manger problem as such, more a "you can't have two different files in the same folder with the same name" thing (hence the need to rename the component files of one of them).

The plugin ID's would be different (as the manufacturer name etc), and that's how Logic identifies plugins internally.

Edited by des99

Like you I oubviously thought it would not be a problem, there're a lot of hiden informations in the plugin data, enough to differenciate them, but after a first intallation, well, I had to find a way to make it work and the double renaming before any instalation of the 2nd  "fracture" seemed necessary.

I give the link to the 2 plugins, if someone want to do the experience again.

Edited by FLH3
  • Like 1

Ok, so I tried this here, and I get entirely the behaviour I expect (that I mentioned above).

You have to rename one of the component files, as you can't obviously have two files with the same name. So I copied the Airwindows Fracture to the components folder, and renamed it "AWFracture.component".

I then installed Glitch Machine's Fracture.

I run Logic, and both of them show up as validated, and work fine in Logic, as I'd expect. There is no clashing or bad behaviour because of name collisions - as I mentioned above, all plugins are referenced internally by their macOS plugin ID's, which are three alphanumeric strings for manufacturer, plugin type, and plugin ID (the name isn't involved here.)

Custom names are not required or don't affect any behaviour.

So I don't see any problematic behaviour here at all.

SCR-20230820-qxf.png.21255801e2adb64945d6062640767d2d.png

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

Thank you for refining my studdy, but belt + suspenders, this is my motto!

Well, it's a good news to know the plugin manager can deal with identical names. Obvisoulsy I've no idea why it didn't work for me when I didn't give a custom name in Logic as your installation was in the same order as me, 1st Airwindows, then Glitchmachines. Mystery of the unknown... 🤔

Edited by FLH3
  • Like 2

No problem!

My *guess* would be you just ran into the "I installed a new plugin but it didn't appear in Logic" thing at first, which killing the core audio daemon, or a reboot, would likely fix, and then wrongly attributed it to a name collision...

Anyway, it's good to know it does indeed work properly, and name collisions are not a thing in Logic.

• Like 1