Waves don't change after I apply Compression or any other effects

Iamfahadqureshi

Okay so it's a super noob question but I have used different daws and upon applying compression you see a visible difference in the waveforms but I don't see that on logic and I have never seen it. I just go by the meters i see on the plugin. I would like to see the compression made visibly to make better decisions to thicken the vocal or judge it better. I'm also on the old 10.3 version. If anyone knows what to do and can help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you

The audio signal from the audio regions (that contain the waveform) on the track is routed through the plug-ins (including the Compressor) in real time upon playback. It's a nondestructive process, meaning the audio data in the audio file is still the same, which is why the waveform is left unchanged.

To see changes on the waveforms, you'd have to apply the effect destructively, for example by selecting the audio region, and choosing Functions > Selection-based Processing, and inserting your Compressor there. 

• Like 1