How to hear the stem when it is being printed?

haubanhof

At the moment I am sending a stem to a hardware compressor, and printing it on a new track.
My goal is to be able to hear the tweaked stem as I am printing it in real time.
How do I set this up?

The screenshot shows how it currently is routed, but when done like this I am mostly hearing the original track.

sc.png

Where is Output 3 routed to? How does the audio come back into Logic Pro? You should be able to monitor the input you're recording just like you're monitoring any recording you're doing in Logic, however your original stem should not be routed to the Stereo Out (if you don't want ot hear the unprocessed signal). 

Or better yet, use the I/O plug-in? 

11 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Where is Output 3 routed to? How does the audio come back into Logic Pro? You should be able to monitor the input you're recording just like you're monitoring any recording you're doing in Logic, however your original stem should not be routed to the Stereo Out (if you don't want ot hear the unprocessed signal). 

Or better yet, use the I/O plug-in? 

Thank you for helping out, David!

Output 3 is cabled/routed to Input 1. When the original stem's output is set to "No output" everything is dead silent; no volume dancing on the original stem's level meter.

When using the I/O plugin (set to output 3, input 1) on the original stem track, everything is also dead silent.

Any clue what might be happening here?

5 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Apparently there's signal on the meters when you press stop? Is something else connected into input 1? What audio interface? Is there a mic/line selector? 

The only thing connected physically to input 1 is a cable from monitor out (output 3) on the audio interface.

Audio interface: Neve 88M.

There is a mic/line selector, and it is set to line.

38 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Are you sure monitor out is Output 3? Isn't it output 1?

You are right! It worked perfectly when switching to output 1. But, it also worked when using output 2 in the I/O-plugin. So it seems it doesn't matter if I use output 1 or 2 in the I/O-plugin, even though the cable is connected from monitor out R (either output 1 or 2). Is this correct behaviour?

Is there anywhere I can look up what output monitor out R is for this particular audio interface in Logic, or on the mac?

Btw - output 3 will also print stuff into the coloured stem track - but only when the original stem has "Stereo out", even when the cable goes from "monitor out R" on the audio interface.

Just now, David Nahmani said:

On all interfaces, by default, output 1 is the Left channel and output 2 is the Right channel. 

Is there a software for your interface, that allows you to remap input and output channels? 

I see. No software for this interface. Does something seem off?