Logic hangs for 5+ seconds when creating crossfades

district78
Go to solution Solved by alex_studio,

Recently upgraded an 2017 iMac Pro to Ventura from Catalina and now when I crossfade 2 audio files Logic hangs for over 5 seconds. I can adjust crossfade boundaries but as soon as I create a new crossfade things slow down. I have identified that it has something to do with the cprefsd daemon updating the logic preferences file when I create a fade. I tried trashing the Logic prefs file (which didn't work), but not sure if there are other preference files that I may want to trash. 

Would appreciate any ideas anyone has. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks!

I looked at the Activity Monitor to see what was happening when the rainbow wheel popped up. I saw that cfprefsd was using a lot of CPU. Then I did a fs_usage command to see what files were being used by that daemon. I could see that the computer was access the Logic Pro prefs file over and over (way more than on another computer that isn't experiencing this issue).  I feel like it's a permissions issue, but I have no idea if that's the case or how to address it.

Yeah i've had this issue for over a month now and reported it back then as its a massive workflow issue for me...have been soldiering on ever since. Relieved that other people are finding it too. Fwiw im on a 2018 i9 intel mbp.

@district78 As you say it seems to be an issue with cfprefsd, and i havent been able to resolve even with a complete wipe of my preferences folder.

@David Nahmani Yep completely blank project with only one audio file split into two regions and it will hang for 5 seconds when you make a crossfade. Absolutely fine with fade out / in, just crossfades.

5 minutes ago, g123clarke said:

Absolutely fine with fade out / in, just crossfades.

Frustrating, for sure. 

I suppose that meanwhile, you could apply fade-outs and fade-ins by placing the regions on two different tracks assigned to the same channel strip. Definitely not a very elegant workflow of course, just a workaround. 

1 minute ago, David Nahmani said:

Frustrating, for sure. 

I suppose that meanwhile, you could apply fade-outs and fade-ins by placing the regions on two different tracks assigned to the same channel strip. Definitely not a very elegant workflow of course, just a workaround. 

Thanks David, yeah that would work for some applications, for me with podcast editing using the shuffle function its not really viable, but appreciate the support! Hopefully there will be a fix soon 🙂

37 minutes ago, g123clarke said:

Thanks David, yeah that would work for some applications, for me with podcast editing using the shuffle function its not really viable, but appreciate the support! Hopefully there will be a fix soon 🙂

Yes, hopefully. Meanwhile, maybe try an older version of Logic Pro if you have a backup? 

• 3 weeks later...