Mastering Tools In Logic ???

Pianoworldstage

Hi

Recently finished a soundtrack consisting of piano, strings, synth and sound FX, film tv type, and was wondering what FX processing tool I could further use in Logic to bring out more brightness and clarity to the track as I still feel it has a potential to shine better.

I've already applied Logics Stereo Spread plug-in which has brought the track more to life, however, still a little inexperienced in the production field so any tips would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Pianoworldstage said:

to bring out more brightness and clarity to the track as I still feel it has a potential to shine better.

It's hard to guess without hearing the track but if it's a frequency spectrum issue, then you may want to go back to the mix, determine which individual tracks are contributing to anything that prevents the sound of the mix from being bright, clear and shiny (most likely low or mid-low frequency resonances) and EQ it out of the mix. 

Always better to carve out what's too heavy than to try to boost what's too thin, so if you're lacking clarity it may be because you need to turn down lower frequency content. 

You should be already fairly happy with the overall frequency balance and sound of your mix once you start mastering. 

21 hours ago, Pianoworldstage said:

still a little inexperienced in the production field so any tips would be appreciated.

Take a step back for a few days, or better for a few weeks if your schedule allows it.
Come back later and you will hear everything with new ears, allowing you to make new choices.

Either that, or give the mixes to someone else to master them.

In other words, don't attempt to do everything in just one session.

• Like 1

I would recommend izotope´s Ozone, as it suggests mastering settings using kind of an algorithmic approach. You can use this as a starting point to commence with your own changes on top of that suggestion from the program.

Clarity in general means more highs and in most cases in conjunction to some lowering of frequencies around 200 Hz (espescially stage noise from monitors and such in case of Live recordings). It´s pretty subtle, though, when the basic mix is properly done.

Try to figure out if clarity refers to the whole mix or certain parts in it which should be adjusted rather seperately...

Edited by Byhxx