A question about rooms and getting a flat response

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

With an imminent reshuffle of where my music equipment is I thought I might get a little more serious about checking my room acoustics/speaker combination.

To that end I was thinking that a test tone that sweeps 20 -20K put through my system and then recorded would give me a good idea about where my room is less than ideal. Does anyone know where to get such a test tone or is it easy enough to program with something in Logic?

Also I’d like to know am I misleading myself by pursuing this course of action?

• Solution
6 hours ago, rAC said:

Does anyone know where to get such a test tone or is it easy enough to program with something in Logic?

Easy enough in Logic, actually nothing to program! Just open a Test Oscillator plug-in, click the Sine Sweep tab, and then click the Trigger +1 button to start the sweep. 

Screen Shot 2023-09-21 at 6.00.00 PM.png

3 hours ago, rAC said:

PS the way things are, unless we move because we’ve won a lottery, the Speakers are pretty much fixed (maybe 10cm or so either way) and the listening position is fixed - when the rearrangement occurs.

Finding the correct speaker and listening positions are actually crucial to a good room listening experience so don't disregard it altogether. 

Otherwise what's the shape of the room? Windows, doors? What kind of flooring? 

Generally you'll want to start with positioning bass traps in priority, in every 3-corner first. Bass frequencies are the most challenging to treat in a small room. 

If you've heard about the 20/80 rule... 20% of the work gives you 80% of the result, then the remaining 80% of the work give you only the remaining 20% of the result... then putting bass traps in your room corners is your 20% work that will yield 80% of the result you're looking for. 

• 3 weeks later...

REW, as denitronik mentions, is one way of getting to understand what's actually happening in your room. You need a matched/calibrated microphone to not color the results too much.

Dimensions, building materials, and real acoustic treatment (as in not foam, for instance) will make the biggest difference, apart from speakers and speaker placement relative to your listening position.

After that, I recommend you look at Trinnov:
https://www.trinnov.com/en/products/nova/

• Like 1