Bus and Aux Routing Question

Maestro777
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Say I'm routing my vocal(s) track to a single bus but then would like that singe bus to be routed across several different busses before the stereo bus. Is that possible in Logic or any DAW for that matter?

Put another way, I'd like the signal passed to the 1st bus to be distributed equally and proportionally across the several subsequent busses. I know I could achieve something somewhat similar by assigning the signal of each vocal track to the busses via the sends but I don't believe that is going to give the same effect or sound b/c it's being combined with the stereo out. I'd like to bypass sending the audio signal directly to the stereo out bus and instead send it equally to several busses simultaneously and those busses would then be sent to the stereo bus.

Hopefully I've detailed the ask clearly enough. So.... possible?

15 minutes ago, Maestro777 said:

I'd like to bypass sending the audio signal directly to the stereo out bus and instead send it equally to several busses simultaneously and those busses would then be sent to the stereo bus.

If you don't want to use Sends on the vocal track, set its output to a blank "intermediate" bus that has "No Output" and then use its Sends to distribute the signal to other buses.

18 minutes ago, loukash said:

If you don't want to use Sends on the vocal track, set its output to a blank "intermediate" bus that has "No Output" and then use its Sends to distribute the signal to other buses.

Thanks @loukash I should have been more descriptive. That would indeed alleviate the concern of blending the main audio signal with the audio sends but I'd like to eliminate having to set up each track individual with the same several sends.

7 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

What is the ultimate goal?

I'm attempting to emulate Michael Brauers Vocal mixing technique as illustrated in the screenshot but I want to ensure I'm appropriately translating his OTB technique within Logic.

Screenshot2023-09-21at2_18_52PM.thumb.png.cadcdb3fac9336316edae0a86674a0c8.png

7 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

If you want to process your vocals on different Aux channel strips, then what you could do is set the output of the vocal channel strip to a bus, and then create multiple Aux channel strips that receive that same bus, and that have their output set to Stereo Out. 

Ok @David Nahmani, so this kind of sounds like what I'm attempting to achieve only I'd like the signal summed going into the bus before going to the multiple Aux channel strips as a single signal as opposed to multiple signal coming in from each track at different levels.

So maybe a summing track of all similar vocals first and then send the summing track to the bus as you've said would work? I'm trying to determine a way to have a have 1 signal of multiple mixed vocals hitting the compressor at a fairly consistent level as opposed to each individual vocal track coming in at various levels/volumes.

Hope that makes sense.

30 minutes ago, Maestro777 said:

only I'd like the signal summed going into the bus before going to the multiple Aux channel strips

If you route the output of all your tracks to a bus then you're summing them onto that bus. It's the same thing a summing stack does: it routes the output of all the subtracks to the same bus to sum them. So a summing stack would be redundant here. 

There's an ongoing discussion on brauerizing here: 

• Like 1