Enter exact values for automation (volume, pan, Plugin-parameters etc.)

shnaps52
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

First off - I am using Logic Pro X 10.4.2 - because I don't want to go thru process of buying/updating the 64-bit plug-ins.

My issue may be present in the latest version of LPX.

The sounds of one of the plugins is not mapped correctly - e.g.  note D generates F tone. 

To overcome this, Initially, I isolated the MIDI track with just that note and inserted Apple's Pitch plug-in; shift the pitch by -300 cents in the plug-in interface.  However, later discovered that I need to shift the pitch up by +200 cents.  Rather than creating another track (with the new note) along with another instance of Pitch plug-in, I tried to automate the Pitch parameter.  

Usually, the automation parameter values are changed by dragging the value up/down - but the cannot set the value to the desired number.  The value resulting from dragging operation jumps  and could not set to exact value (e.g. -300 or +200). 

Is there a way to enter the exact parameter value on the automation line?

Many thanks. 

• Solution

I doubt that you can set it to 200 though as the value seems to change by steps of 24 cents, which would be a limitation of the plug-in, not of Logic Edit: Just tried with Ctrl key held and I can adjust the value in the automation line by tenth of a cent it seems.

There's no way to enter the value of automation nodes by keyboard though.

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, polanoid said:

I doubt that you can set it to 200 though as the value seems to change by steps of 24 cents, which would be a limitation of the plug-in, not of Logic Edit: Just tried with Ctrl key held and I can adjust the value in the automation line by tenth of a cent it seems.

There's no way to enter the value of automation nodes by keyboard though.

Sounds very easy.  But when I press the control key in the automation line, I get a context menu!

7 minutes ago, shnaps52 said:

Sounds very easy.  But when I press the control key in the automation line, I get a context menu!

That sounds like you're pressing the control key *before* dragging or clicking on the node, not *during* dragging (ie after clicking on the node).

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

Another option is to open the track automation event list (control-command-e) and type the value there. The problem is that while the automation lane will use appropriate types like dB, the track automation event list will always use midi values, from 0 to 127. Still, you can click on the value on the event list and drag it up or down. Maybe it'll be less annoying than doing it on the automation lane.

trackautomation.thumb.png.1ef6fd437dcc5a923687c65b8975d300.png

3 hours ago, envlpx said:

Another option is to open the track automation event list (control-command-e) and type the value there. The problem is that while the automation lane will use appropriate types like dB, the track automation event list will always use midi values, from 0 to 127. Still, you can click on the value on the event list and drag it up or down. Maybe it'll be less annoying than doing it on the automation lane.

The resolution is much  more coarse then, and you will have no direct visual feedback of the value as it is displayed in the plug-in itself (instead it will always be an integer value between 0...127) so I doubt you will be able to set e.g. exactly 200 or 300 cents for the Pitch AU like that.