Audio fader is set very low, but track is still very loud.

iPreferBlackKeys
Go to solution Solved by iPreferBlackKeys,

I was moving some audio regions to their own tracks to edit their volume. In these new tracks, the fader has little to effect on volume. Mute does not work. Muting certain other similar audio tracks does work, however. 

Oddly enough, the original and other duplicated audio track's fader seems to have a normal effect on the moved region even though it's not even on the same track. Turning off all automation, plugins and buses had zero effect. 

I highlight the 3 of 4 tracks where the fader has not effect on the audio region. Vocal 4 is the only one unaffected, but is also the original track I duplicated others from FYI. 

Audio Issue.png

To simplify, Vocals 1-3 are not effected by their own faders or mute buttons. When I move the fader up/down in "Vocal 4" track, it affects the sound in other audio tracks. So odd. 

I thought it might have to do with automation since my "Read" buttons don't all have the same color scheme, but that didn't make a difference. Thanks.  

Screen Shot 2023-09-22 at 5.56.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-22 at 5.56.56 AM.png

On the 1st screenshot, channel strip "Vocals 2" shows a signal, but the Playhead shows no region on the corresponding track. Check in the mixer window's local menu the option "View" -> "Channel Strip Components" -> "Input/Instrument", then see if the channel strip happens to have a bus as input.

BTW: the color scheme for the "Read" buttons:

- gray background with green font: track is in read mode but does not contain any automation data

- green background with white font: track is in read mode and has any automation data (even when "Display off" is set).

So, I checked the Channel Strip Components and it seems to be checked (2nd image). However, if I'm understanding correctly, you said the playhead shows no region on the track, but the region was farther to the right, which I tried to illustrate in the 2nd image as well. 

Let me know if this is what you were asking me to check. I appreciate the help.

Screen Shot 2023-09-22 at 8.49.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-09-22 at 8.48.33 AM.png

• Solution

I fixed it. Originally, turning off all the plugins, including Melodyne, the issue was still there. I tried turning it off again on the bad tracks and now it seemed to fix the issue. Makes me a little concerned since I just got Melodyne 2 days ago, but I'll try and rerecord add Melodyne before any other plugins. This whole project has been buggy in other areas as well, which was a first. 

Thanks again, guys.