Apple macOS Sonoma Audio Compatibility For Audio Plugins And Hardware

PP1965
Message added by David Nahmani,

For 3rd party plug-in compatibility with Logic Pro in Sonoma, see:

'not supported', of course, does not automatically mean 'doesn't work'. sonoma is not yet officially released, so we'll see where that list goes then.

meanwhile, i've been running the OS since developer beta 1, and all of my 3rd-party plugins work. currently, on RC2, everything works without issue.

still, always worth checking with developers about their plugins, interfaces, etc...

• Like 1

I have at least three utilities that don't work on Sonoma, and have been rewritten and require paid upgrades, and that number might rise - so Apple have definitely been changing and deprecating stuff that software previously relied on...

Hopefully those things are not things that plugins rely too much on.

1 hour ago, des99 said:

I have at least three utilities that don't work on Sonoma, and have been rewritten and require paid upgrades, and that number might rise - so Apple have definitely been changing and deprecating stuff that software previously relied on...

Which utilities? 

1 hour ago, des99 said:

it goes hand-in-hand with new OSes; that developers will (sometimes) charge for a new, 'compatible' version (for me, for example, it's bartender) i don't fault the developers; at the end of the day, i want them to get paid for their work, so they keep those things i need working in the present and the future.

meanwhile,  as @matamoris asked, 'which utilities?'

2 hours ago, fisherking said:

it goes hand-in-hand with new OSes; that developers will (sometimes) charge for a new, 'compatible' version (for me, for example, it's bartender) i don't fault the developers;

Of course - it's not a complaint, and I have no problem paying for updates and also supporting good software - I've been doing it for decades. It's merely an observation, that while I'm doing a quick survey of update feasibility, and also watching the new OS update emails from developers, there are tools that don't work on Sonoma due to underlying changes and deprecations, and so of those things needed quite some work to find a way to continue to work on Sonoma.

It's not intended as an exhaustive software compatibility list or anything. Bartender is indeed one of those I mention, and will be upgrading - Bartender 4 doesn't work on Sonoma, and Bartender 5 has been reworked to use a different API for Sonoma (which is not compatible with older macOS versions).

I'm basically making a list of tools I use that will either not make the Sonoma transition, or will require updates, paid of otherwise, as part of informing myself of what I might need to do when I upgrade, and what the impact may be. I'm guessing it will be small... the current list is three, it might expand.

Edited by des99

2 hours ago, des99 said:

Of course - it's not a complaint, and I have no problem paying for updates and also supporting good software - I've been doing it for decades. It's merely an observation, that while I'm doing a quick survey of update feasibility, and also watching the new OS update emails from developers, there are tools that don't work on Sonoma due to underlying changes and deprecations, and so of those things needed quite some work to find a way to continue to work on Sonoma.

It's not intended as an exhaustive software compatibility list or anything. Bartender is indeed one of those I mention, and will be upgrading - Bartender 4 doesn't work on Sonoma, and Bartender 5 has been reworked to use a different API for Sonoma (which is not compatible with older macOS versions).

I'm basically making a list of tools I use that will either not make the Sonoma transition, or will require updates, paid of otherwise, as part of informing myself of what I might need to do when I upgrade, and what the impact may be. I'm guessing it will be small... the current list is three, it might expand.

bartender 4 does work on sonoma, am using it right now, on both of my macs. 

if you let me know what else you concerned with, i could perhaps check it out for you (as long as i don't have to buy anything i don't need). just a thought!

53 minutes ago, fisherking said:

bartender 4 does work on sonoma, am using it right now, on both of my macs. 

I just read the notes in their support docs about the stuff not working in v4 on Sonoma, and that he's working on Bartender 5 to get around them. So the note to self is: upgrade to Bartender 5 for Sonoma. If it works for you, or you haven't run into those things, great!

53 minutes ago, fisherking said:

if you let me know what else you concerned with, i could perhaps check it out for you

There seems to be some misconception that I was in some way asking for help, or concerned/worried about this, or somehow not able to manage the complexity of upgrades. I'm well aware of, and experienced in this process. I made a simple observation that there are tools that in their current versions won't work/have problems on Sonoma, and I'm making notes of them as I go so when I upgrade, I'm making informed decisions and can do what I need to do. I wasn't trying to derail the plugin compatibility thread with a discussion on general Sonoma Mac software compatibility - just pointing out some things seem to have changed that *could* affect plugin compatibility - hence the relevance to this thread.

Thanks, but there is no need for someone else to check stuff out for me. When the, for example, SpamSieve guy mails his userbase and says "Hey, SpamSieve 2 won't work on Sonoma, as it's a plugin for Mail, and Sonoma removes all support for Mail plugins, so I've had to rearchitect SpamnSieve V3 as a Mail Extension and companion app to continue to work. While Extensions are not as powerful as Plugins, it can still do the core job, and V3 is a paid update", I go cool, and add "Upgrade to SpamSieve 3" in my Sonoma upgrade compatibility list. It's really not complicated.

Back to plugins now...

Edited by des99

10 minutes ago, des99 said:

I just read the notes in their support docs about the stuff not working in v4 on Sonoma, and that he's working on Bartender 5 to get around them. So the note to self is: upgrade to Bartender 5 for Sonoma. If it works for you, or you haven't run into those things, great!

oops, just trying to be helpful.

there is a new version (5) of bartender that is optimized for sonoma (it's out now). but 4 continues to work here without issue, so will update at some point, just to support the developer. others are using v4 on sonoma as well...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fisherking said:

there is a new version (5) of bartender that is optimized for sonoma (it's out now)

I know, I already mentioned Bartender 5 above. It's Sonoma only, so won't work on earlier machines (because of the underlying changes that had to be made for Sonoma). I will upgrade when I get there. https://www.macbartender.com/Bartender5/

I'm sure the list of apps that I'll need to update will grow a little (especially as we get nearer release and devs will start notifying their users to let them know the score). I haven't yet seen any huge issues reported yet, so hopefully the compatibility issues will be minor this year... for plugins also. This is one of the reasons I'll probably upgrade early (unless any showstoppers appear).

Note that the recent FCPX/Motion/Compressor upgrades all have Ventura as a minimum requirement - I expect Logic to also require Ventura before too long - so either way, I'm motivated to move forward from Monterey.

18 hours ago, des99 said:

I know, I already mentioned Bartender 5 above. It's Sonoma only, so won't work on earlier machines (because of the underlying changes that had to be made for Sonoma). I will upgrade when I get there. https://www.macbartender.com/Bartender5/

yes, but i was saying that bartender 4 works without issue on sonoma; just pointing this out!