Should I use 10.4 Book?

Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi, I have a copy of the 10.4 version of the book that I bought years ago but never got around to using. On page XV it suggests that I will get updates to this book in the future when I register at Peachpit. I logged in to Peachpit and I only have this version of the book? Anyway, not sure if I am supposed to get updated to the latest version, but if not, should I buy it? Is there a big difference? Looking at the table of contents, it looks like chapter 2 is about creating a drum track in the new version, but that's not the case in the version I have. Seems like some substantial changes. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

• Solution
4 hours ago, chitownguitarist said:

On page XV it suggests that I will get updates to this book in the future when I register at Peachpit. I logged in to Peachpit and I only have this version of the book?

Yes, you get updates only for the version of the book you own. If updates to the book were released for 10.4 (I cannot remember if there were any), then you could access them in your Peachpit account. This is mostly for erratas or minor changes that could make an exercise work slightly differently. 

However a new major update such as 10.5 is a completely new book and that requires a new purchase. There was no 10.6 book but my latest book, simply named "Logic Pro" was rewritten for 10.7: https://www.logicprohelp.com/logic-pro-book/

4 hours ago, chitownguitarist said:

not sure if I am supposed to get updated to the latest version, but if not, should I buy it? Is there a big difference?

Yes, there are some substantial changes between the 10.4 and the 10.7 book as it went through two rewrites. There's new material, new lessons, updated material etc. Some of the content in the 10.4 book will not work with Logic 10.7 (some of the menus or functionalities have changed). So in this case, assuming you're using the current version of Logic Pro (10.7.9 as of this writing), I do recommend you purchase the current version of the book.