Slip By Nudge Value Command with Mouse Movement.

damusicman29
Go to solution Solved by noisyneil,

Is there anyway to use this command (see photo) called "Slip Right by Nudge Value" and "Slip Left by Nudge Value", but with the mouse? For example, holding down a key and slipping the audio inside the region with the mouse. 

Currently, setting multiple nudge values to slip the audio inside the region is a pain in the butt for audio that's long (which I typically work with, especially when it's stuff like vocal takes, long musical phrases, and/or sound design).

The only other way I've found that can edit the start time of the audio in a region is to grab the handles in the Project browser and find the associated audio and do it that way, but that's a pain too because the handles are tiny and it's not as fluid as simply dragging audio. 

This feature is in Ableton and it's ridiculously handy.

Any ideas?

slip nudge command.png

project audio handles.png

Edited by damusicman29

20 hours ago, damusicman29 said:

What's Metagrid? Metagrid can make LPX behave like this?

it is a virtual midi cc und keycommand software for ipad.  Yes, it comes already with some buttons for this in the template for Logic. You can also customize buttons in a very flexible manner. 

Anyway , for this nudge function i use my normal computer keyboard. Shift+opt then left or right .  I dont change nudge value so much to not get confused. 

But if your thing is mixing and sample design the workflow is different! i am composer

On 10/15/2023 at 6:14 AM, emanuel_froes said:

it is a virtual midi cc und keycommand software for ipad.  Yes, it comes already with some buttons for this in the template for Logic. You can also customize buttons in a very flexible manner. 

Anyway , for this nudge function i use my normal computer keyboard. Shift+opt then left or right .  I dont change nudge value so much to not get confused. 

But if your thing is mixing and sample design the workflow is different! i am composer

Oh okay I see. I'm a composer as well, but I also work in a lot of other projects. I also keep the nudge value set to like 1/16, but I'd still like a way to move the region fluidly. Anyway, tysm. That midi CC app sounds interesting for sure! 

On 10/14/2023 at 6:41 AM, damusicman29 said:

Is there anyway to use this command (see photo) called "Slip Right by Nudge Value" and "Slip Left by Nudge Value", but with the mouse? For example, holding down a key and slipping the audio inside the region with the mouse.

No with Logic only, but I suppose that with the help of a 3rd party utility like Keyboard Maestro you may be able to do that? There's a free trial available, so I'd give that a try. If you find a way to do it, let us know! 🙂 

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

No with Logic only, but I suppose that with the help of a 3rd party utility like Keyboard Maestro you may be able to do that? There's a free trial available, so I'd give that a try. If you find a way to do it, let us know! 🙂 

That's really good to know. I'll try it! Thank you! Yeah, if it works well, that would be a game changer! I'll also request this feature to Apple.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

There is a Logitec mouse that has a software just for this . But of course not complex like Keyboard Maestro https://amzn.to/3LZ3KPZ

2 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

with the help of a 3rd party utility like Keyboard Maestro you may be able to do that?

Hmm... Tricky one. Keyboard Maestro doesn't 'intercept' mouse clicks, so when you click a region and start dragging, regardless of what a macro does, you'll be dragging the region around the timeline too. 

One thing you might be able to do is to use Better Touch Tool to trigger keystrokes when using the scroll-wheel with modifiers held. For example:

⇧⌥ Scroll Down = Nudge right

⇧⌥ Scroll Up = Nudge left

Unfortunately the scroll wheel can't be used as a trigger in Keyboard Maestro, so those are my best suggestions. 

All that said, THIS is still probably your best bet, if you want to keep things simple.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emanuel_froes said:

There is a Logitec mouse that has a software just for this. But of course not complex like Keyboard Maestro https://amzn.to/3LZ3KPZ

Oh cool! Yeah I already have the MX Master 3. I wonder if I can program it.

3 hours ago, noisyneil said:

Hmm... Tricky one. Keyboard Maestro doesn't 'intercept' mouse clicks, so when you click a region and start dragging, regardless of what a macro does, you'll be dragging the region around the timeline too. 

One thing you might be able to do is to use Better Touch Tool to trigger keystrokes when using the scroll-wheel with modifiers held. For example:

⇧⌥ Scroll Down = Nudge right

⇧⌥ Scroll Up = Nudge left

Unfortunately the scroll wheel can't be used as a trigger in Keyboard Maestro, so those are my best suggestions. 

All that said, THIS is still probably your best bet, if you want to keep things simple.

Ah I see, I see. Yep, this is what I've been trying to do before, but gosh, it's a pain to use. Maybe I can just expand this window on a separate display and make it big. Apple really needs to integrate this more fluidly imho. 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, noisyneil said:

Gosh, what great timing! I'm so happy! They took our request! haha

Slip tool

"Click and hold a region with the Slip tool to slip the region, which moves the content of the region left or right by the Snap value without moving the boundaries of the region. The content effectively moves inside the region, which remains stationary. Slipping a region is possible only when the source content exceeds the length of the region by the amount you slip (or greater).

You can slip and rotate the content of audio or MIDI regions. When you slip or rotate a Drummer region, it is first converted to a MIDI region, then the content of the MIDI region is slipped or rotated."

• Like 1

Here's a neat workaround that works on both the Magic Trackpad (what I use) or even just a regular mouse (tested on an old cheap Logitech conventional mouse). Out of the two, Rotate is the mode which seems more versatile and more useful so I've assigned it to my third Tool (Right Click tool). In Settings, Right Click (Secondary Click) is assigned to Click or Tap with Two Fingers. So now in Logic I can just Force Touch click once to call up the Rotate tool and then swipe/drag the audio left or right instead of using key commands 😀 Try it, it works!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, anp27 said:

Here's a neat workaround that works on both the Magic Trackpad (what I use) or even just a regular mouse (tested on an old cheap Logitech conventional mouse). Out of the two, Rotate is the mode which seems more versatile and more useful so I've assigned it to my third Tool (Right Click tool). In Settings, Right Click (Secondary Click) is assigned to Click or Tap with Two Fingers. So now in Logic I can just Force Touch click once to call up the Rotate tool and then swipe/drag the audio left or right instead of using key commands 😀 Try it, it works!

Especially on trackpads, that's freaking great! Nice observation!