Logic stalls during AU scan -

xpander
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I haven't had any issues with Logic until two days ago. Now when I start up Logic, it stalls during the AU scan. I've tried to cancel the scan but it doesn't respond. I get the spinning beach ball and I have to force quit the application. I did update Falcon to version 3, installed Arturia's Efx MOTIONS, and updated to the latest version of Zynaptiq's Orange Vocoder IV during the last week. I'm wondering if one of those could be the issue.

My system specs are rather dated. Everything has been working very smoothly so I didn't want to mess with it. Also, there are some plug-ins that I use that aren't compatible with the newer versions of macOS. I'm on a 2020 27" iMac running 10.15.7 Catalina and Logic Pro 10.6.2. I have plenty of RAM and SSD space. I would usually turn to a back up drive in this type of situation, but unfortunately the back up drive was stolen along with some other gear that was in my car. That was really heartbreaking.

I'm great when it comes to creativity and making music, but I admit that I have a lot to learn when it comes to computer maintenance and troubleshooting. I would really appreciate any suggestions on what to do. Thanks in advance.

Move the new plugins you updated out of the plugin folder temporarily, and verify Logic launches.

Then put one back, and try again. When you find the one that’s giving problems, you can investigate that one, see if it works in other hosts, check it’s authorised and so on…

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply. I tried doing that but it still stalls during start up. I do have Live 11 on my machine, so I took your advice and tried the AU's in a session and they worked just fine. They were all authorized too. Is there anything else that you think I should try? I really appreciate the help.

I've been very fortunate through the years with my Macs running Logic. I've hardly ever had issues. The downside of that is that I don't have a lot of experience fixing things beyond the occasional kernel panic (lol). 

I finally had time to remove all of my AU's in small batches. Then I restarted Logic each time to find the culprit. The most recent update to the full Kilohearts Bundle v2.1.2 was it. It was time consuming due the amount of plug-ins I have, but totally worth it now that I can get back to work.

Thank you des99 and David for taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate it!!

• Like 2

A tactic from the classic Mac OS days of extension conflicts is the 50% approach: 

1. remove all extensions (plugins). If your problem goes away, you know you’re on the right track. 

2. add back only half of your extensions (plugins).

2a. If the problem doesn’t show up, that half is good. Add half of the remaining extensions (plugins) and test again. 

2b. If the problem shows up, the offending extension is in that half. Remove half of what you just added and test again. If it goes away, add back half of what you just removed and test again. 

Going by 50% is *much* faster than adding and testing every single extension/plugin individually. 

The limitation, of course, is that sometimes, you will have particular plugins or extensions that really don’t take well to being installed together on the same system. Those are trickier to diagnose. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, analogika said:

Going by 50% is *much* faster than adding and testing every single extension/plugin individually. 

Just to show what "much" means in numbers: Compared to the one-by-one approach, if you have installed e.g. 1000 plug-ins, the bisection approach will take max. 10 steps to find the culprit (whereas it's up to 1000 when you do it one-by-one)

• Like 1