Logic For OS 10.12.2

RoyFan

Hi All.

Looks like I may need to upgrade my OS to 10.12.2.

Is there a particular Logic version I can download that will be optimal for that?  I have Logic Pro X Version 10.2.2  right now.

If anyone can quickly explain the steps to do this attempt safely (ie with a way to go back to my current OS and Logic version)

that would be great. Thanks!

As a side note.. does anyone use Helix guitar vst here?

11 minutes ago, RoyFan said:

thanks..  appreciate it!!

do you know if vsts  (arturia, serum, massive etc) have to be udpated when updating to higher OS s?

Generally, major OS upgrades require a number of compatibility updates from various vendors. Oftentimes, the plugins will work fine, but the vendor will only officially “support” the newer version

Thanks so much.

Only other thing making me a bit nervous.  I plan on backing up the iMac with timeMachine..and reverting if there are bad problems.

Once I install an OS like Big Sure, can it change the hardware config, or do something else

that will make it hard or impossible to back to  OS X El Captain ? (my current one)..  

thanks

This was my modus operandi as well in the past 20 years, but I have to admit, that it changed for me.

I either go with the yearly upgrade or I'll leave the machine the way it is until we upgrade our hardware. We usually wait a couple of months with an OS update until all the plugins that we must use work. I keep an eye out for forum threads here and on a couple of other forums to gauge the state of plugin compatibility and possible issues.

I keep one old machine around in a sort of "frozen state" in order to open old songs with old plug-ins and everything.

Also: the OS, DAW and plugins are not precious to me anymore in the sense that I think I can't get them working again if it breaks today. Things have become very easy actually in recent years, developers make installers easily available. So really I just make sure I have multiple backups and archives of the sample libraries and of course the projects, recordings and the "other data" that is precious and irreplaceable to me (baby pictures, tax stuff, correspondence, scripts, code, templates etc...)

Everybody does it differently, this is what works for me.

10 hours ago, wonshu said:

Everybody does it differently, this is what works for me.

Wonshu, really appreciate it. I had a thought:

A lot of my vsts that I got in the last 3 even 4 years.  If they run on my very old (10 yrs) version of Capitan and Pro X 10.2.2..  Wouldn't that imply that if anything upgrading to Big Sur (the very last OS my HW would support) wouldn't be an issue, since  those VSTS have proven themselves to be even  "More Backwards Compatible" with something older?   or does that Logic not hold up?

Oh and as as reverting to El Capitan if I have after this Big Sur experiment, I (think ) I may have heard once, that even if it's on the same computer, that after one updates to a higher OS, this can due something critical to the HW etc, configuration where reverting back can be an issue?

it sounds very strange to me, and I wouldn't be able to see why since HW is HW and an OS is SW.

But have you heard of this ?  or (hopefully) it is my imagination and that is not an issue at all