Mixer setup

Hi all,

What is the best setup, if I want to connect 5-6 synths to my computer and monitors?

I have today a small mixer, but this does not have enough inputs for permanently connecting my gear. I also have an old audio interface from Reason, with 4 connections which I easily can switch between. Only recording one input at the time. 
Today I route thru the mixer to the audio interface, and record one instrument at the time. This is a ok workflow for me. 
Since both the mixer and audio interface is old, I can convince myself to upgrade them if needed. 

So to the question:

What do you recommend. Buy a new audio interface with more inputs? A bigger mixer with more inputs? Or maybe a different mixer, rack mixer?

I only use the gear for hobby purpose, I don’t play live, and  recording one instrument at the time is sufficient. 
I would like to use the setup without powering up my PC and logic, so a possibility to connect to the monitors without more hassle than needed would be nice (my current audio int. has a monitor button). 

Any suggestions? Tips on gear to look at? 

Thanks in advance  

Edited by HovdenStudio TM

If you're happy with the workflow, and don't need to record more than one instrument at a time, upgrading your mixer to handle all your input sources is probably the way to go.

If you want to dispense with the mixer entirely, replacing it with an audio interface with enough inputs for everything would be more streamlined, but you'd need to check whether you could still use this without the computer powered on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, des99 said:

If you're happy with the workflow, and don't need to record more than one instrument at a time, upgrading your mixer to handle all your input sources is probably the way to go.

If you want to dispense with the mixer entirely, replacing it with an audio interface with enough inputs for everything would be more streamlined, but you'd need to check whether you could still use this without the computer powered on.

Thank for replying des99. 

Let me add some more info that might favor one solution over the other: if I would like to record midi tracks with external gear, and wait with recording the final audio from each synth until later in the process. I am fairly new to recording from external hardware (working a lot with soft synths in the past), and I have some difficulties with the workflow in this case. When I create tracks in Logic with external midi, these tracks also transmit audio thru them, and with only one stereo input thru my audio interface, I get all external gear sounding thru all the external midi tracks. There probably is a way around this, but more audio input would solve this I guess?

I’ve found a rack mixer that would solve the qty of inputs, but also a budget audio interface with 8 line inputs for approx twice the cost. 
Maybe that would solve more of my “problems”?

Thanks in advance for your valuable input. All help is very much appreciated.