A grumpy old man’s lament

rAC

To the mods,

Maybe I need to calm down a bit. But I am sick of reading the new posts in the Logic area of the forum about problems with Mac’s, 3rd party plugins and it seems anything but Logic Pro. A couple of deep breaths and can I calmly and serenely ask @David Nahmani to ask the moderators to be a little more stringent in moving threads away from the Logic Pro area? 

I know and appreciate that this forum runs with a pretty ‘light touch’ from moderators and that seems to encourage posters to remain polite but to me it seems that the Logic Pro area has become the repository for far to many unrelated to Logic Pro posts. I’d even say I don’t want to discourage those posts but can they be moved to areas where they are more appropriately belong?

Love Grumpy

PS I assume from David’s recent posts he is also trying to expand the forum particularly with respect to articles - and I’d love to see one by @des99 on backups or @fisherking on Os restoring from beta’s.

I have moderated this Logic Pro community for the past 25 years, and while I don't pretend that I know everything about the ideal way in which it should be moderated, I've learned a few things along the way. 

First, the distinction between what belongs in a Logic Pro forum vs what doesn't is not necessarily completely clear. While surely a discussion regarding which guitar to purchase does not belong in the Logic Pro forum, it's not necessarily so obvious with a discussion asking how to record and monitor a guitar with an amp modeling plug-in, given that one of the answer may be given with using only Logic Pro and its included amp modeling plug-in, but other answers may discuss 3rd party software or even hardware that could be used for that same goal. 

Now I agree that lately, I've allowed some discussions in the Logic Pro forum that in the past would have been moved to the Music Production Techniques and Gear forum. There are multiple reasons for that decision. 

One of them is that many people don't bother visiting forums other than the Logic Pro forum and would have missed that discussion when it's important to all Logic Pro users. An obvious example of this is for example an announcement of a new macOS or new Mac model or the acquisition by Apple of a music-related 3rd party developer. 

Another that you briefly touched on is that when you keep moving stuff around (or in general keep moderating too much), users get frustrated. 

Having said that, I concede that the structure of the forums here on Logic Pro Help is getting a little long in the tooth and may need some revamping. I doubt I'll change anything before early 2024, when you can expect some of the furniture around here to be rearranged a bit, and maybe a fresh coat of paint. 😉 

29 minutes ago, rAC said:

PS I assume from David’s recent posts he is also trying to expand the forum particularly with respect to articles - and I’d love to see one by @des99 on backups or @fisherking on Os restoring from beta’s.

Why not. I'd love to open the Articles section to others here who are experts in their own field, and in fact you'll see a new article from a guest author no later than next week. 🙂 

• Like 3

Yes, I've certainly entertained the notion of doing some of these articles (partly to help David's workload a bit, and partly to refer to people so I don't have to repeatedly type out the same answers 🙂 ) and I'll probably do some but I'm a bit overwhelmed by other stuff at the moment... I need to finish some other things before starting new things...

• Like 3

On 10/28/2023 at 3:27 PM, des99 said:

Yes, I've certainly entertained the notion of doing some of these articles (partly to help David's workload a bit, and partly to refer to people so I don't have to repeatedly type out the same answers 🙂 ) and I'll probably do some but I'm a bit overwhelmed by other stuff at the moment... I need to finish some other things before starting new things...

Hey @des99, I would love to have you write in the Articles section, don't hesitate to contact me privately whenever you have some time on your hands and are ready for it. 

On 10/28/2023 at 3:15 PM, David Nahmani said:

in fact you'll see a new article from a guest author no later than next week. 🙂 

...and as promised, a new article by Holger Lagerfeldt: 

• Like 4