New article on the Logic Pro Compressor circuit models, by Holger Lagerfeldt!

David Nahmani

We're publishing the first article by a guest author today! @Holger Lagerfeldt was kind enough to write an article based on his research on the various circuit types in Logic's Compressor plug-in, and also based on a thread that was started here on Logic Pro Help a while ago. 

So without further ado, everything you've always wanted to know about Platinum Digital, Studio VCA, Studio FET, Classic VCA, Vintage FET, Vintage Opto, but also side chain, Max vs Sum and Peak vs RMS detection, Auto Release, Soft, Hard and Clip distortion... and much, much more!

I encourage you to add your comments directly at the bottom of the article itself!

• Like 12
  • Love 2

Great article👍

I have one question regarding the distortion parameter in Logics compressor. I know, that the Make Up gain comes before the distortion/clipping, and then the output gain at the end of the signal flow. And when I for instance am using the Soft Distortion, I can increase the make up gain and lowering the output-gain if I want a more saturated tone without increasing the overall output.

In the manual it say: "Distortion knob: Choose whether to apply clipping above 0 dB"

So, my question: If the "soft distortion" for instance adds 3 db's into the clipper, does it the mean, that no clipping occurs, if I set the Make Up gain to -4 db? Or is it more like, that the clipping occurs, when the signal (as seen on the compressors Output Gain Meter, when Output Gain is set to 0) goes above 0 db? I hope my question makes sense🙂