Apple announces new M3 MacBook Pro 14" & 16" and M3 iMac 24"

Apple announced new M3 Macs to be released on November 7th. 

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

https://www.apple.com/imac/

M3 MacBook Pro

• 8-core CPU
  • 10-core GPU
  • Up to 24GB unified memory
  • Up to 22 hours battery life

M3 Pro MacBook Pro

• Up to 12-core CPU
  • Up to 18-core GPU
  • Up to 36GB unified memory
  • Up to 18 hours (14") or 22 hours (16") battery life

M3 Max MacBook Pro

• Up to 16-core CPU
  • Up to 40-core GPU
  • Up to 128GB unified memory
  • Up to 18 hours (14") or 22 hours (16") battery life

M3 iMac

• 8-core CPU
  • Up to 10-core GPU
  • Up to 24GB unified memory
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ozinga said:

Becoming harder to say and memorize, too many M, too many Pro

That M3 Probook Max Mac Pro with the M3 MaxPro Mac CPU chip with Max 128GB (for pros), looks like the Max configuration a Pro would ever need.

Especially Pros called Max.

(I'll get my coat! It's a Macintosh. The Pro version for keeping the Maximum rain off.)

Edited by des99
  • Haha 5

I was crossing my fingers for a new iMac, which DID come, BUT... I was hoping for M3 Pro and Max configurations plus more RAM than the 24GB maximum allowed.

That being said, would you think a new iMac M3 maxed out (24GB RAM and 2TB HD) would be sufficient for heavy use of LP? I use A LOT of soft synths (most of them power hungry as you know). I have an M1 Max MacBook Pro with 64GB RAM and 4TB HD but I also want something desktop-y to replace my old iMac without breaking (again) the bank. 

Thank you

Edited by hoovoo
addition

31 minutes ago, hoovoo said:

That being said, would you think a new iMac M3 maxed out (24GB RAM and 2TB HD) would be sufficient for heavy use of LP? I use A LOT of soft synths (most of them power hungry as you know). I have an M1 Max MacBook Pro with 64GB RAM and 4TB HD but I also want something desktop-y to replace my old iMac without breaking (again) the bank. 

I have heard and read that there are Logic Benchmark files floating on the internet. This would be a good time for other knowledgable users to point us to these benchmarking files for assessing new hardware.

• 4 weeks later...

Well fine friends, I received my totally max'd out M3 16inch MBP today. It's a complete ordeal re-installing everything, but definitely quite cathartic to not install plugins that I've not used in ages!! 

Having upgraded from a i9 fully Spec'd MBP I have to say,.......I miss the touch bar!

I had the touch bar customised for quite a few things in LOGIC ,..... now I have to do a work around. 

Aside from the internals, which I know are insane, I do feel the build quality of the new one feels a little "Cheaper" than the i9.....

Just saying!

🙂

• Like 1