Recent projects won't output sound

Ted598
Go to solution Solved by Ted598,

Mac mini M2 Pro running Sonoma 14.1 and Logic 10.7.9. Interface is the Focusrite Clarett+2. 

All the track meters are moving in Logic Pro, but no sound is outputted. The Focusrite meters aren't moving.

However, the problem can't be the interface, and it can't be the Mac's sound output setting, because I'm able to make everything work by opening a brand new session and then using the browser in the new Logic Pro window to import all the tracks from the old session. (This was the workaround suggested by @JakobP in a thread I started on October 7. At that time I thought the problem was limited to one session that was giving me trouble.)

Rebuilding every old session into a new session is obviously not a tenable solution going forward!

Any ideas on why this is happening and what I can do about it? It's making me crazy.

21 minutes ago, Ted598 said:

All the track meters are moving in Logic Pro, but no sound is outputted.

Are the meters showing audio on the output 1&2 channel? Try bypassing all plugins on the output channel.

if you switch to your Mac's inbuilt audio, rather than the audio interface, does audio show up, or is it still muted?

• Solution

@des99, you're a genius. I went back to one of the malfunctioning projects. Saw that the meters weren't moving on the output 1&2 channel. (The one labeled Stereo Out.) Tried turning off the 5 plug-ins that were on that channel. Voilà! Output happened.

For those keeping score at home, the 5 plug-ins were: Ozone 10 Master Rebalance; Ozone 11 Dynamics; SSL Compressor; Izotope Tonal Balance; and Mastering the Mix Fuser.

I turned all of them off, and as I say, I had output again. So then I tried turning them on one by one and seeing if I still had output. The answer was yes--except for Tonal Balance. Turning that one on made the output go away again. I was able to keep all the other 4 on at the same time with no problem; but add Tonal Balance, and the output went silent again.

Thank you.

• Like 1