Logic major update frequency slowing down?

Rambird

So i‘ve been using Logic for at least 7 years now and initially I just bought it for f‘in around but then soon realized it‘s being developed like crazy with huge updates like 2-3 times a year. The last year I really feel like it‘s gotten real quiet. Honestly it has gotten to a point where I am so seriously getting back into PT (I know—but Pro tools has gotten a lot of improvements the last few years). I use PT for post only (for me personally producing and writing with lots of digital instruments is still horrible in PT), but now that Cubase 13 is out I am seriously eyeing that for production. What do ya‘ll think: Am I being paranoid?

I don't know, I just stopped really thinking about it - new releases happen when they are ready, it doesn't mean I can't be productive with the current version I'm using.

I didn't choose Logic 30 years ago because of some update schedule, and people should not confuse the release schedule with the pace of development, as you don't know whats going on behind the scenes, or what big changes have been worked on for a year and are getting polished and near release, etc. From various conversations, I don't get the impression that the Logic development team office is a ghost town with a couple of dudes sitting around drinking coffee and playing cards and fixing the occasional bug every fortnight...

Honestly, I don't find much value (apart from the odd bit of fun speculation and tea-leaf reading) in thinking too much about release schedules...

Edited by des99
tea-leaf typo - fat fingers
  • Like 3

It may be that the Logic Pro for iPad kept the Logic developers too busy to add many new features to Logic for macOS. But this is all speculation and we will never know anyway. So starting a thread about this is quite futile really. Re Cubase 13 and/or ProTools - no one is keeping you from using those, if you feel they suit your needs better you should use them.

19 hours ago, Rambird said:

now that Cubase 13 is out I am seriously eyeing that for production. What do ya‘ll think: Am I being paranoid?

I believe that you should make your decision of which tool to use based on the current feature set, not based on speculation based on the frequency of updates. So if Cubase 13 has some tools that would be better for you, then use that. But it's also worth noting that some of the brand spanking new features in Cubase 13 are features that have existed for many years in Logic Pro, so just because there's a more recent update does not always mean it's better. 

Also consider that switching from one DAW to another will always mean that you'll be ecstatic at the newly found features that your old DAW was missing, but also frustrated at the old DAW features you'll have to give up because they're missing in the new one. 

• Like 2

logic is literally killing it. i can write a laundry list of features i still want (gonna make a post on the feature request thread sometime soon). the thing about logic is they give you tools that you learn to love so much. Logics samplers with the addition of alchemy sampler are GOATS. Were getting some truly incredible tools. 

It's also a little something to notice the algorithms that they are amassing under the hood. When Logic pro 11 does come don't be surprised when they take a leap ahead of ableton on audio warping. Just look at the creative algorithms that drive much of camel audios alchemy in logic and the new alchemy sampler. The new pitch correction algorithm in the effect. 

I truly don't envy the workflow of other daws. I may work a little bit slower while im mixing in logic then studio one or another daw. but the creative ideas i get out of logic are the best. Don't get me wrong logic isnt perfect but no daw is. I'm full fan boy over 10.8 

• Like 2