MacBook with Logic won't record set up as iPad with Logic and Garage Band -- which both work

Jason Shep

Started with an iPad with Garage Band, moved to the iPad version of Logic and just recently purchased a MacBook Air and have been using the free trial of Logic of the past 40 days or so with no problems.

Here is the set up -- I am running a Spark Mini from the line out into the Audio Interface (M-AUDIO - M-TRACK SOLO) using a 1/8 to 1/4 cable.  

When I run the Audio Interface into the iPad I use the split through the lightning charging port and plug the USB B to Regular USB into the iPad.  No issues with Garage Band and the iPad version of Logic recording on the iPad.

When I first set up the new MacBook Air - I ran the same set up and used a USB C hub with USB connectors to plug the Audio interface into the MacBook.  This worked for about 3 weeks.

Out of the blue I am only hearing a click or pop mostly nothing when I try and record into the Logic on the MacBook Air - guitar.  

So after reading up on clicking or popping I purchased a USB B to C plug and bypassed the USB hub on the MacBook - so it directly connects.  No luck.

I am new to all of this and the Musician is my 12 year old son.  I feel like there is something just obvious on the MacBook that I am missing as the Garage Band and iPad Logic both work perfectly.  The only difference when moving over to the MacBook is changing the USB plug which seems very benign.

Any suggestions - I have logged so many hours into this I can't think straight.

Thanks.