Replacing an iMac

Go to solution Solved by analogika,

Unfortunately, Apple will arbitrarily "decide" that your computer is no longer "eligible to receive" future operating-system and therefore also application updates, simply because of the date-code in its firmware. No one has yet successfully sued them for "unlawful restraint of trade," because there is no actual compelling technical reason why your hardware could not continue to support it.

(Note: "no flame-wars please." I simply make an observation.)

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 1

@MikeRobinsonI’m trying not to start a flame war but I read somewhere (I think it was on VI-C) that the latest [10.8.0] Logic uses a lot of APIs that aren’t in pre Ventura OS’s hence the requirement.

@Gridscape as always Apple will do whatever they decide to do re supporting old models with new OS’s (and hence applications) however, they do seem to issue security updates for much longer. So while maybe you can’t use the latest versions of your apps the ones you have should still be good (noting that those bugs and missing features will never come your way).

If you are thinking of a replacement Mac - I have one main question, “Has the 5K display spoilt you for lesser displays?”. I know it did for me. Smaller issues are whether you run out of memory with what you do now, and are you likely to?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

Unfortunately, Apple will arbitrarily "decide" that your computer is no longer "eligible to receive" future operating-system and therefore also application updates, simply because of the date-code in its firmware. No one has yet successfully sued them for "unlawful restraint of trade," because there is no actual compelling technical reason why your hardware could not continue to support it.

Thanks Mike, yes I was surprised because basically the iMac seems fine. It’s the first Apple computer I’ve had and certainly didn’t expect this. Oh well…

Thanks @rAC yes I like the display and the memory is fine. I’m using two screens (the extension is 4k) so one option considering is a laptop to run closed in the studio using two extension screens, but have the portability as I will be using some work live. I’d be interested to hear what laptop is required to run to an equivalent efficiency to my (now ancient apparently!) iMac 

3 hours ago, Gridscape said:

Thanks analogika - that's really good stuff to know!

Do you (or anyone) have a view on required memory? I have 32G on the iMac, would I need the same?

If you’re not experiencing any memory pressure now and don’t foresee any in future usage, then stick to 32 Gb. If you are in no hurry then wait until the M3 Ultra’s drop. And then look in the refurbished section of the Apple Store for a M2 - in fact if you are going for a laptop you can probably start now. You say you have a 4K display already so there’s one display for either your laptop or mini/studio - there are a number of 5K displays showing up now for far less than the Apple one - I went for a Samsung (I reviewed it here too) so whether you want to settle for one display and the laptops or you go for two with one 5k -preference and budget.

Whatever you get is going to run rings around you current Mac.

Of course the other side of it is software - some plugin developers are really dragging the chain there. Check whether your used plugins are ‘Apple Silicon’ ready/capable, and also have a look at their forums 9and here) to see whether the claim is only lip service. 

• Like 3

On 11/8/2023 at 2:13 AM, MikeRobinson said:

Thanks Mike, yes I was surprised because basically the iMac seems fine. It’s the first Apple computer I’ve had and certainly didn’t expect this. Oh well…

On 11/11/2023 at 3:58 AM, analogika said:

Just to counter the „Apple are such bastards randomly cutting off support“  narrative a bit:  

image.thumb.jpeg.fa3150583ea4f19d25379e951b473b1c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f9ceb7f1f3c62984e777dff501b23593.jpeg

I query the accuracy of this graph. To me it is evident that the figures for 2016 and 2017 must be wrong (or they are compiled by a time traveller).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rAC said:

I query the accuracy of this graph. To me it is evident that the figures for 2016 and 2017 must be wrong (or they are compiled by a time traveller).

Source: 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/07/with-macos-sonoma-intel-macs-are-still-getting-fewer-updates-than-they-used-to/

Ars Technica is one of the rather more respected tech sites on the internet, so of course they properly explain which data they extrapolated, and how they went about it. 

58 minutes ago, rAC said:

Fair enough then but I still think that the 8+ year figures for 2016 onwards ought be distinguished in the graph itself as being estimates.  

I agree.

FWIW, the "Years of Software updates" are only estimates for 2017. The cutoff for the 2016 machines was the release of Ventura in 2022. 

I agree that it would have been nice to distinguish in the graph, but a) it's fairly easy to work out, if you know the published date of the graphs, and b), it's my fault for posting them here, out of context of the original article. Should have linked that. 

• Like 2