No more midi notes velocity compression/expansion in 10.8?

jacou
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hi, since I updated to Logic 10.8 there seems to be no more way to compress/expand the midi notes velocity dynamics.

When you go into a midi region via double click, select all midi notes in that region and then try to drag all velocities up or down in the automation/MIDI view (viewing velocity), all midi note velocity values keep the same dynamic relationship. There is no more compression or expansion. All previous Logic versions would compress the midi note velocity values by dragging them down or expand them by dragging them up. I heavily rely on that feature with orchestral composition.

Is there any other (simple) way to achieve that midi velocity compression/expansion?

Thank you!

17 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

You're right, this features seems to be gone in Logic Pro 10.8. 

You can use the Dynamics parameter in the Region inspector, then if you wish to apply it destructively, use Functions > MIDI Region Parameters > Apply All Parameters Permanently (or press Control-N).

Thank you David for the reply!

What a bummer that that feature is gone. It was a part of my everyday workflow 😞 I hope it’s coming back!

Thank you for the workaround idea. I actually never used the dynamic parameter in the region inspector. Good to know that it’s there.

Is there maybe a key that I can press and hold while dragging midi note velocities that will change the dynamics? Or while moving the velocity slider in the piano roll? It’s hard to believe that the devs remove that feature without any proper alternative.

Just now, mattrixx said:

You have to start without the option key and add it once you see the "v" tool...

That allows you to push the velocities further up as one of the note raises its max velocities, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about expanding the dynamics while dragging even when none of the notes have max or min velocity. 

Here's how it worked in 10.7.9 (dragging the velocity lines in the automation area); 

• Like 2

Yes it’s reported.

Another issue with midi velocities that I experience in 10.8 is when I select and open multiple midi regions and try to increase or decrease the midi velocities of multiple regions at the same time. Before 10.8 I could select midi notes of multiple regions and use the velocity slider to change them. Now it only changes the velocities of only one region at a time.

I guess that’s another bug 🙈

1 hour ago, jacou said:

Another issue with midi velocities that I experience in 10.8 is when I select and open multiple midi regions and try to increase or decrease the midi velocities of multiple regions at the same time. Before 10.8 I could select midi notes of multiple regions and use the velocity slider to change them. Now it only changes the velocities of only one region at a time.

I guess that’s another bug 🙈

Yes, already covered in another thread in this forum. Haven't got the time to find the link right now.

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jacou said:

You have to hold down Option. See the animation in that comment:

40 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

You have to hold down Option. See the animation in that comment:

That won't help in this context (multiple MIDI regions selected, Velocity change via Velocity Slider). That's just broken (will only change velocities for the first region), worked fine in 10.7.9.

Using the Velocity Tool works though, so that would be an easy workaround I guess.

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1