JBL LSR305-one monitor has gone much quieter than the other.

Hi everyone, I was watching a video on youtube and thought there was more sound coming from the left channel than the right, so I tried playing a few pieces of music through them and the right monitor is indeed a lot quieter than the left. 

I tried switching left and right cables on my interface so left and right was switched to try and rule some things out but even then the right monitor (receiving the left channel audio) was much quieter than the left. 

It doesn't sound like the speaker has blown as the woofer is still slightly moving making some sound but just at a very low level. 

I am running from my Focusrite 2i4 into a Swissonic 10 inch subwoofer, then running TRS cables from the subwoofer into the monitors. 

If anyone could help me with troubleshooting what could be causing it or if the monitor is broken it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks, Conan. 

On 11/9/2023 at 10:35 AM, conanthewarrior said:

I tried switching left and right cables on my interface so left and right was switched to try and rule some things out but even then the right monitor (receiving the left channel audio) was much quieter than the left. 

Ok good troubleshooting step. So it means that the issue isn't with the monitors themselves but with the signal you're feeding them. 

What about the cable? I mean what if you invert the cables altogether, on both ends? See if one cable is defective. 

6 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

Ok good troubleshooting step. So it means that the issue isn't with the monitors themselves but with the signal you're feeding them. 

What about the cable? I mean what if you invert the cables altogether, on both ends? See if one cable is defective. 

@David Nahmani I think you’ve got it confused. The cable swap establishes the problem is with the speaker not the signal (unless I am misreading it). It is the right speaker that is quieter on both left and right signal input.

Edited by rAC
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 2:42 PM, David Nahmani said:

What I ended up doing was physically switching the monitors over so the left one was the right and vice versa. 

The problem was still coming from the right monitor, the one I had switched to the left was working perfectly so this ruled out the monitors. 

I changed the outputs a few times again and suddenly the monitor came back to normal. So I gather the issue is a cable that is going bad, I am glad its that and I don't have to buy new monitors. 

Everything is currently working as it should. 

OK I have figured out the problem, it is my interface. As I change the monitor level it makes a scratching sound through the monitors and may make one not work unless I move the knob around a bit until it does. 

So it is a scratchy pot somehow causing the volume to lower in one monitor, so I guess it is time for a new interface. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 first generation so guess it is time to upgrade anyway. 

On 11/16/2023 at 1:16 PM, David Nahmani said:

Alright!! Good to hear you found the culprit. Always feels good once you know exactly what's up, doesn't it? At least now you know what to replace. 🙂 Thanks for letting us know!

Yeah I am glad I know what it is now. 

The "monitor" knob which is the volume is very scratchy now, you can hear scratching through the monitors when you turn it up or down, and also you have to position it in such a way that both monitors work which may be a little louder or quieter than you want. 

I just wondered if there is anything I can try to fix this scratchy pot and save my interface? 

Also I am a little confused how the volume knob is doing this as I imagined it would send the same level to both monitors but I guess with the scratchy pot it has gone a bit tits up.