Linking source media selectively

hnieuw

Hi all,

We are looking for an option to link the source material from other logic pro projects, without importing them. And I know this is possible by deselecting 'copy audio files to project folder', but we want to do this selectively, like you can do for instance in pro tools.

Example; we would like to share audio files from a video file in a project (it is for a tv series, so every project doesnt need a copy of the same audio file from the video file). But we do want to have the original audio copied from other project files when we are importing those. I can imagine it isnt possible, but would love to hear how you guys do this.

I'm always turning off anything that wants to "copy" something for me. Also, I don't use Logic "project" bundles, I use the regular folder structure.

When I want to reuse audio files located elsewhere while also keeping track in Finder of what I'm importing, I go via symbolic links. For Logic, placing a symbolic link into the project's Audio Files folder is the same as if the file was in there; as long as the target file is available of course.

(It may also work with regular Finder aliases, but I'm still so used to symlinks since the El Capitan days where Finder Aliases could be over 1 MB while the linked original was just a few KB. Luckily this bug has been fixed in subsequent MacOS versions.)

To create symlinks without Terminal, there's a convenient MacOS Service plugin that still works fine on Ventura: 
github.com/nickzman/symboliclinker/releases
Service plugins can also have a keyboard shortcut. I'm using it all the time.

The symlink trick should actually work with project bundles as well. You'd just have to replace the copied audio files with their respective symlinks (or aliases if that works with Logic; not tested yet) manually inside the bundle.
This is what I'm already doing when creating DDPs in DSP-Quattro 5 which now also uses this silly project bundle document format and insist to copy another up to 700 MB worth of precious storage space inside, even though those are just the same audio files that I'd just bounced out of Logic. Duh! So, also there, symlinks to the rescue (I think I tried with regular aliases but that didn't work in DSP-Quattro). Saves me gigabytes of storage and backup space.

Edited by loukash

I am too, talking about the regular folder structure, as this gives the possibility to have different logicprox. files that share the same audio, thus saves space. 

But the symbolic links might not be a sustainable solution, as I mean to link specific audio files from imported projects. It costs simply too much time to symbolic link your audio files that you share among projects.

35 minutes ago, hnieuw said:

It costs simply too much time to symbolic link your audio files that you share among projects.

?

It depends. Primarily it depends on how you organize your workflow. Some workflows I'm using have developed over the course of many years, if not decades. Using aliases – or later symlinks – has been a significant part thereof; also in my main work as graphic designer in times when hard drives sizes were still counted in megabytes. If those few extra seconds can save me many MB or even GB worth of storage space, I consider it worthy.

Sorry, not my intention to be negative about your workflow. I do think in fact that this might work for you and many others. It's just that in my setup it would take too much time with 500+ audio files and a deadline and I was simply hoping for an toggle-able option, like David suggested. Unfortunately this option works for all audio files and not selectable ones. I'm afraid this option is still only for pro tools users (along with importing multiple video files :))