CSParameterOrder.plist no longer created on "Save as default" in 10.8

jaysunice
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I recently updated to 10.8, but I'm observing a potential bug/issue and curious if others can confirm?

In the past, you could use "Save as default" and this would create a "#default.aupreset" file and also create a "CSParameterOrder.plist" file in the same location. The CSParameterOrder.plist can be used for arranging/re-arranging control surface parameters on hardware controllers (e.g., Behringer X-Touch, SSL UF8, MIDI Controllers, etc.)

When I use "Save as default" in any plug-in (both Logic Stock and third-party plugins) I still get a new "#default.aupreset" file created, but I no longer see a "CSParamterOrder.plist" file. Anyone else seeing or experiencing this?

• Solution

Hmm, I'll check...

Edit: Confirmed!

Edit2: Hold Option while clicking on Save As Default, and CSParameterOrder.plist gets created.

Phew! (This is probably a better change anyway, as it's only generated for those that want it, and know to make those files.)

Edited by des99
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

19 minutes ago, des99 said:

Hmm, I'll check...

Edit2: Hold Option while clicking on Save As Default, and CSParameterOrder.plist gets created.

Phew! (This is probably a better change anyway, as it's only generated for those that want it, and know to make those files.)

Oh wow. Nice catch!

Note: for those following along, you have to continue holding option through the modal pop-up screen.

Edited by jaysunice
wrong paths
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, sunbrother said:

Why they would make that change instead of making a drop down item called "Create Parameter Map" is beyond me.

It's a pretty esoteric feature that the vast majority of the user base do not need and would just be confused by, would be my guess. We have had people asking what these weird CSParameterOrder files that showed up without them doing it knowingly were, so...

Apple generally resist adding vast amounts of customisable options in their apps, as a design guideline and to cater for as wider range of users a possible (which sometimes works against the power users of course). If you want that, there's always Reaper, I guess... 😉 

31 minutes ago, des99 said:

It's a pretty esoteric feature that the vast majority of the user base do not need and would just be confused by, would be my guess. We have had people asking what these weird CSParameterOrder files that showed up without them doing it knowingly were, so...

Apple generally resist adding vast amounts of customisable options in their apps, as a design guideline and to cater for as wider range of users a possible (which sometimes works against the power users of course). If you want that, there's always Reaper, I guess... 😉 

Nope. I don’t want REAPER. I’d settle for how Cubase seems to handle it. I just think either finish Smart Controls, create a visual editor for the parameter orders, or create a better and more capable front-end to Expert Mode. It’s so weird to see them tinker with when and where the parameter files are created when some fairly simplistic control surface workflows require emulating a handful of 12(?) year old devices (Logic Control, Mackie C4, etc).

I think it’s only confusing because they make it confusing. If you open the Control Surface editor in Studio One it’s pretty obvious what it does and how it works even if you have no need for it.

Edited by sunbrother
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sunbrother said:

Nope. I don’t want REAPER.

Ah, it was just a little joke, don't take it seriously...

I just think either finish Smart Controls,

Smart Controls are for me, a fairly flawed concept. They are fine for all Logic's presets to give some direct control for users that predominantly use them, but I've found them not that useful for my workflow, so I don't use them at all...

create a visual editor for the parameter orders

People have made visual editors for this - personally I've found a text editor is by far the easiest/quickest method, and I do this quite a lot as it's at the heart of my plugin control scheme...

But I would be the first person to say that there are many things around this area in Logic that could be significantly improved...

Logic Control is over 20 years old now, BTW... (It came with Logic 5, in 2002)

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, des99 said:

Ah, it was just a little joke, don't take it seriously...

Hah! Sorry 🙂 maybe I was still smarting from troubleshooting an issue in TouchOSC which I only have to use because Smart Control recall is so broken. Logic is so great overall that the unfinished or unpolished sections really stick out.

Edited by sunbrother
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/14/2023 at 4:53 PM, jaysunice said:

Oh wow. Nice catch!

Note: for those following along, you have to continue holding option through the modal pop-up screen.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:36 PM, des99 said:

Hmm, I'll check...

Thanks so much for posting this. Trying to get a UF8 mapped to a few plugins and couldn't figure out why the CSParameterOrder.plist files were not being generated with LPX 10.8.

+1 on holding 'option' throughout the save.

• Like 2