pitch changing after importing from documents with same tempo setting

KeithJames

Yesterday, I was making a mess by just copying and pasting regions from one project to another and it was not working out.  On the forum here I was advised (thank you wonshu) to import by going to Browser and find what you want to import.  This made sense but the data in the browser was very confusing.   I went online and learned very similarly that I can just open a new empty project and in the pull down menu: "import", find the project, and then select the data for each track desired.  All these tracks are recorded via microphone, alternating tracks of input 1 and 2 (condenser and dynamic mics).  I clicked on for content, audio, plug-ins, sends.  I skipped midi, in/out, and keep number.  This worked out very well...almost.  The tracks did appear and apparently with all the sends and volume controls, plug-ins, etc. because it sounded great: EXCEPT:  the entire thing was raised up a couple steps higher.  I tried doing it both ways: clicking on global tempo track before importing and not clicking on global tempo track, but it seemed a moot point because the document I imported from had zero changes to the default 120 tempo and the new document where the import landed also had the 120 default tempo.  What setting in the original could be causing the change in pitch in the new document?  Thanks. Ah, let me add here also, the 4/4 time signature and the key of Cmaj default settings also was constant between the original and the new document, and there is no Flex Time alteration involved.

Edited by KeithJames
clarity/spelling/ more info

8 hours ago, KeithJames said:

What setting in the original could be causing the change in pitch in the new document?

Did you make sure that the new project was set at the same sample rate as the original ? Sounds like it could be a 44,1/48khz mismatch... 

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KeithJames said:

If this refers to the bit rate like 24 or 16

No the sample rate (44.1 kHz, 48 kHz etc.) is set under File > Project Settings > Audio for your project, and your audio file sample rates are listed in the Project Audio browser. All audio file sample rates should match the project sample rate. 

5 hours ago, KeithJames said:

Sorry for the lack of resolution but at this point I’ve moved on. 

Understood, sometimes you just have to plow forward. 

Thanks David.  I will find this information and start understanding its need for consistent setting. Though I am also facing a need to understand better the issues of 24 or 16 bit and I guess as well AIFF or WAV. I have always used WAV and for a long time I had settled on having everything set at 16 bits for wiser or not. I guess I read that CD and MP3 material should be sent in at 16 bits. But with my new computer and freshly loaded Logic, it happens that I’m finishing up an album project and realized all the songs are at 24 on AIFF (and really, they did not start out that way on the old computer). So I went reading and did find something saying that 24 is great for mastering but I’m still thinking I’m supposed to send material in at 16. Can I just bounce the final bounce to 16 bits without any concern or should I keep it/submit it at 24? And can I or should I just change it to WAV at the same time?