Logic 10.7.9 not saving Recent Project list

AndyS
Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

• Solution

Hi Andy,

There's an entry in Logic's preferences file (NSRecentDocumentsLimit) that determines how many recent projects are displayed there. By default (at least on the version of Logic I have in front of me right now, 10.6.3) you should be able to see up to 50 projects. 

I'm guessing something's up with your preferences file. If you are not at easy with editing plist files, then the easiest would be for you to quit Logic and trash the the preferences file (com.apple.logic10.plist) from your macOS user's Library/Preferences folder (~/Library/Preferences).

After you do that the window should start showing you recently-opened projects again (you'll have to test by opening a few projects).

J.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AndyS said:

New machine, fresh everything, etc.
macOS 13.6.1, Logic 10.7.9

Thinking of it, right after buying the new MBA earlier this year, I vaguely remember that it had some similar issues, although I'm not sure if I noticed that within Logic or using other apps. Could have been due to Spotlight indexing going wrong or something. I think eventually I had to reset the Spotlight index and the Recent Items at some point. For that I have used Onyx; make sure to download "OnyX 4.4.4 for macOS Ventura 13" from https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html and read the manual carefully. The tools you need are in the Maintenance tab. Best is to activate only those tasks you want to solve. Recent Items are hidden under the "i" in the Others section.

Thanks for the input everyone!

8 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

NSRecentDocumentsLimit

Jordi: Opened up ~/.../.../com.apple.logic10.plist

NSRecentDocumentsLimit was missing. 1(Old)plist.png.60373c3af2a4211fd29e95c8c4db7781.png

Trashed prefs, rebooted. Opened various projects, made small changes for each and saved them. Closed LPX. Still no recents upon reopening.

↓ Also, still no NSRecentDocumentsLimit in the new plist.

2(New)plist.png.89cfd4e427af78beccd01e2777dc5982.png

I'll replace the previous plist (unless that's a bad idea?).

↓ As a side note, there's also no Menu item for Recents in the menu bar (or is that a thing now?)

NoRecents.thumb.png.749aa9c12ad5c900aa8a652e2047d181.png

Loukash: Thanks for the download link. Nice little app! Currently rebuilding Spotlight, so we'll see.  Used to use Onyx back Leopard/Snow Leopard, but these days I prefer the reinstall option).

Fisherking: To add to the conundrum, I'm missing the 'Recent documents, applications, and servers' entry you referred to in Control Centre. That can't be right. New Mac Studio, pre-installed OS, very strict install policy. Perhaps it's something that needs to be 'allowed before it appears? ↓

MissingEntry.png.80fd79316115499818fcbc4255b958cd.png

Edited by AndyS

I guess first port of call will be to reinstall the OS. At least that would mean not reinstalling 'everything' again. After, and as you say, a call to Apple before the warranty runs out.

I'm beginning to worry what else might be missing!

At this price you don't expect to get a lemon ,-)

I deliberately have everything turned off in Sharing, Siri, and all the other pulp forced on us. I 'think' I've got used navigating the 'desktop iPhone' Sys Prefs, but maybe there's something I'm locking down that could cause this?

On another side-note, it seems you have to close System Preferences (often having to force-quit) before any changes take effect: particularly in the Firewall and removing uninvited Launch Agents (I'm looking at you, NI, Avid and Apogee). ,-)

26 minutes ago, AndyS said:

I guess first port of call will be to reinstall the OS. At least that would mean not reinstalling 'everything' again. After, and as you say, a call to Apple before the warranty runs out.

I'm beginning to worry what else might be missing!

At this price you don't expect to get a lemon ,-)

I deliberately have everything turned off in Sharing, Siri, and all the other pulp forced on us. I 'think' I've got used navigating the 'desktop iPhone' Sys Prefs, but maybe there's something I'm locking down that could cause this?

On another side-note, it seems you have to close System Preferences (often having to force-quit) before any changes take effect: particularly in the Firewall and removing uninvited Launch Agents (I'm looking at you, NI, Avid and Apogee). ,-)

try calling apple.

you don't have a lemon (ie the mac itself), you seem to have a software issue...

many of us you sharing, etc.. without issue.

i never have to force-quit system settings, so wondering if it's a larger issue with that, and not specifically missing options in the control center pane...

again, i'd call apple first

You sure this wasn't to do with 10.7.9 not showing recents stored in any cloud storage like dropbox? If so save a file outside of any cloud storage and it should work. This is fixed in 10.8:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Logic-Pro-X-projects-stored-in-Dropbox-don-t-show-up-in-quot/td-p/645886

Edited by bonebones

Solved (I hope):

Recents.png.00b5706d7acdd22c073fb7bbdb671048.png

In the end (after wasting a couple of hours in pointless calls to Apple's outsourced script-readers), I bit the bullet and imported an old plist file from my MBPro, overwrote the Mac Studio one, and crossed my fingers.

So far so good..yay! Thanks everyone for helping out. Not sure whether to mark Jordi's post as the solution. It was indeed the plist, and although trashing it didn't help – switching it out did.

15 hours ago, bonebones said:

You sure this wasn't to do with 10.7.9 not showing recents stored in any cloud storage like dropbox?

Bonebones: Thanks for the suggestion; however, I never use Cloud storage in relation to music. 😉

Edited by AndyS
  • Like 2