Automation latency

Diegel
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

Running Logic 10.8 on 2020 imac with ventura using external ssd for the project.  I have 1 track where the fader is lagging like 2 to 3 seconds behind the automation.  I tried disabling all plugins and sends on the track but didnt help.  I have sample accurate information enabled for everything in settings and latency compensation set to all.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Diegel
Typo

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

Could you post the project, or at least a screenshot video showing the issue?

Yep here you go.  Exact same automation on both tracks and you can see how out of sync the fader is on the track labelled "BAD" in the mixer window.  I removed all effects and sends and later in the video I tried disabling the automation on all other tracks to no avail.

• Solution
David Nahmani
This post was recognized by David Nahmani!

"Nice catch!"

polanoid was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 25 points.

Weird. Could you open the Automation Folder (use the key commandimage.png.bae35fd1dae4a8d4b0204fda2b91273b.png,

then do Cmd-1), locate the automation region on the track that is assigned to your "BAD" channel strip, and check if - for whatever reason - the region's delay parameter is set to anything else than zero?

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

Oh and also check your MIDI defaults - I just noticed that if the Delay parameter is set to something else than zero, it seems to be taken over to the automation region of newly created tracks (which doesn't seem right to me 😉 ). I wonder if this is a new behaviour in 10.8? I will check with older versions. Stay tuned.

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, polanoid said:

Weird. Could you open the Automation Folder (use the key commandimage.png.bae35fd1dae4a8d4b0204fda2b91273b.png,

then do Cmd-1), locate the automation region on the track that is assigned to your "BAD" channel strip, and check if - for whatever reason - the region's delay parameter is set to anything else than zero?

Yep this is the solution.  After opening automation folder (Ctl + Cmd + E) and then hitting Cmd+1, I noticed 3 tracks had the region's delay parameter set to +1/1.  Now I just wonder how that happened in the first place.

17 minutes ago, Diegel said:

Yep this is the solution.  After opening automation folder (Ctl + Cmd + E) and then hitting Cmd+1, I noticed 3 tracks had the region's delay parameter set to +1/1.  Now I just wonder how that happened in the first place.

As I wrote, you probably have (or had) your MIDI Defaults set up this way.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, polanoid said:

As I wrote, you probably have (or had) your MIDI Defaults set up this way.

Those 3 tracks I recorded with logic on someone else's computer at their studio so I probably have to tell them to check it out on their computer.  Thanks again!

Just now, polanoid said:

Fascinating that no-one on this forum seems to have noticed this bug yet, given that it is very old (maybe even always has been this way since the introduction of Track Automation? Can someone with access to very old Logic versions check this?)

I'm guessing most people wouldn't naturally have a Delay value set in their MIDI Defaults settings? But I agree that it's odd that this surfacing only now. I've reported it. Very nice catch. 🙂 

• Like 1