Software Instruments Keep Duplicating

I.M. Groot
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I'm having a curious problem where I add a software instrument to my project, and then when I go to add another software instrument, it automatically makes it the same instrument as the first one.

So if I add a guitar and then add a second track for a piano, the piano track is already populated as a guitar.

If I change one instrument, they all change; and if I close one, they all close.

So I'm unable to add more than one software instrument to my project.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening/how I can fix it?

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, I.M. Groot said:

I'm having a curious problem where I add a software instrument to my project, and then when I go to add another software instrument, it automatically makes it the same instrument as the first one.

So if I add a guitar and then add a second track for a piano, the piano track is already populated as a guitar.

If I change one instrument, they all change; and if I close one, they all close.

So I'm unable to add more than one software instrument to my project.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening/how I can fix it?

Thanks!

Sounds like you're creating the new track using the "New Track with Same Instrument" command 

• Like 1

• Solution
3 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Sounds like you're creating the new track using the "New Track with Same Instrument" command 

Yep - in other words, creating more arrange tracks, assigned to the *same* channel strip.

You want to create a new track, with a *new* channel strip - the "New Track with Next Instrument" command will do it...

17 minutes ago, des99 said:

Yep - in other words, creating more arrange tracks, assigned to the *same* channel strip.

You want to create a new track, with a *new* channel strip - the "New Track with Next Instrument" command will do it...

This appears to have worked...thank you!

Is this a new feature? I don't remember seeing it before. (Nor did I ever have this problem before.)

What if you use the Track -> New Tracks... command instead? Also, when you use "New Track with Same Instrument", do the tracks still use the same instrument channel strip? Are you invoking that function via menu or key command? Can you post a screenshot video?

2 minutes ago, I.M. Groot said:

This appears to have worked...thank you!

Still "New Software Instrument Track" should do the same (and it does when I try here)

Edited by polanoid

15 minutes ago, polanoid said:

Oh sorry I meant to write: Also, when you use "New Software Instrument Track", do the tracks still use the same instrument channel strip?

No: in that case it creates a new channel strip.

I'm starting to wonder if I might have been mistaken in my original post, because when I created that new track just now, it worked normally.

It's possible I was simply misreading it; if that is the case I apologize for the false alarm.

But thank you guys for the help -- I actually didn't know about the "New Track with Next Instrument" command, so I learned something new.