Stereo Compressor on 'Stereo Out' channel strip de-activates when selecting Low Latency Mode

Reed
Go to solution Solved by des99,

I think I should use Low Latency Mode in this scenario?   If I'm wrong please advise.

I'm using Logic 10 to play backing tracks while I perform.  My vocal mic is on Channel 1 and naturally I have 'Input Monitoring' on.  If I turn on Low Latency Mode I get the behavior listed below. 

Stereo Compressor on 'Stereo Out' channel strip de-activates when selecting Low Latency Mode.  Then when I de-select Low Latency Mode the Compressor on the Stereo Out' channel initializes again and works normally.  

Is this normal?   Maybe Compressor on the 'Stereo Out' channel strip is suppose to turn off.  Why would that happen.  I need that compressor.

Thanks for looking.

You can change the latency threshold by which you think the latency is acceptable. So check the delay added by the comp, and increase your low latency threshold so that it doesn't deactivate in low latency mode.

However, I'm not aware that Logic's compressor (if that's what you are referring too) reports any latency to Logic (it doesn't here), so are you *sure* it's being disabled? Or are you referring to some other, unnamed third-party "stereo compressor" rather than Logics?

Or you could just not activate low latency mode, and don't use latency-inducing plugins in your session while performing.

• Like 2

All I have is Logic Plugs.  No Third Party.  It's Logic's Compressor and is being disable on Logic's Stereo Out track.

I have Logic's Compressor inserted to my vocal track, but it does not deactivate there. Only on the Stereo Out track where music and vocal are summed.

I'd love to send the Logic file to have you look at it, but it's too big 

I believe I hear (on Vocal Channel) latency when I turn off Low Latency Mode.

I don't think I have I so many plugs to cause a problem with this setup.  Maybe I do.

My vocal just sounds more in sync'd with Low Latency Mode on.  But maybe my problem is something else.

I don't know what more to say to guys without wasting your time.

My settings are attached if that helps.Settings.jpg.3a4807938bdb50009f88e965b286076b.jpg

Thanks to both of you for looking at this! 

Edited by Reed

Thanks des99:

Picture of Mixer below.  Nothing appears when I mouse over the insert.

Something I didn't notice and I'm sorry to be an idiot, but I was not playing the music tracks when viewing that compressor insert.  The compressor is working in both Low Latency Mode on and off for the music tracks only.  The problem 'I think I have' is the Vocal Channel does not get to that particular compressor and I think it has to do with routing so I attached the 'Inspector' .jpg too.   Hoping you see something.

Mixer.jpg

Inspector.jpg

Edited by Reed

• Solution

You have an AdLimiter on your master bus, and that will be creating a lot of latency (it's the worst latency offender in Logic), and will almost certainly be disabled in Low Latency mode (as expected).

The comp doesn't generate latency, so won't be disabled in low latency mode.

Perhaps your problem then is with the Ad Limiter?

Your vocal channel just routes to the main stereo mix, there is nothing special going on there, no routing to other auxes, and no sends to other auxes.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your help.

I did finally get the hover mouse over to operate.

AdLimit is running at [2205 Samples=0sec]

Since the Compressor is operating with the Audio Tracks, I'll just operate a Compressor from the VOC Channel.  I really don't know why the whole performance sounds better under Low Latency Mode, but like always, I have to go with what sound best to me.

Thanks for the help!  You did help in a number of places and that got me thinking.

Happy Thanksgiving

Edited by Reed
change solution solved by des99
  • Like 1