Warning: LPX 10.8 breaks NI Guitar Rig 5, 6 and 7 in older projects

dundergufs
Go to solution Solved by dundergufs,

Upon loading projects created with earlier versions of Logic Pro, version 10.8 will not load Native Instrument's Guitar Rig 5, 6 and 7 plugin if it was inserted as an MFX plugin (able to receive MIDI). Logic will report: The plugin "Guitar Rig " is not available on this system. The only workaround for now is to stay on 10.7.9.

(Probably many of us has always used Guitar Rig MFX as effect in our projects - for me this is a delicious mess, huge amounts of old projects are completely unusuable if I'm to go forward with 10.8)

The issue is known by NI and possibly by Apple via NI. From Eddie on the NI team in their forum:

"Further analysis shows that the new limitation is that FX and MFX versions of the same effects are apparently not allowed by Logic 10.8. We don't know why that is and will need to get in touch with Apple about this. We are very sorry for the inconvenience."

Hope this warning reaches others thinking of upgrading, before you tear your hair out 😉 I wasted half a day figuring it out myself why Guitar Rig seemingly randomly did not load (since the non-MFX versions still works!)... (And Logic naming the missing plugin just "Guitar Rig " without reporting version or MFX suffix DID NOT HELP). Once I figured out what was happening, searching for it and found it is already discussed in the NI forums: 

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/18366/guitar-rig-6-mfx-patches-gone-when-updating-to-logic-10-8#latest

Edited by dundergufs
  • Like 1