Logic asking for preset folder location on save all of a sudden

TequilaKez

I've seen this question or similar asked a few times but I'm not seeing a real answer, only just pick a location and live with it.

Bt I'd really like to get to the bottom of it because it means I've lost a lot of presets otherwise. And it doesn't feel right having to direct logic each time.

So usually on a fresh install, when you press save on logic's plugin window header, it just saves to a default location somewhere and they show up in the menu.

But I had to do a fresh os install and migrate from a backup and now Logic not only has lost all my 3rd party plugin presets, but it seems to not know where they live and pop up a dialog defaulting to an arbitrary folder each time, usually desktop.

Since a few versions back it seems Logic has moved its preset locations from ~/Library/Application Support to ~/Music/Audio Music Apps

Indeed all my presets for Logic's internal plugins are still there, and they show up in the menu fine.

Does anyone know where the default location for saving of 3rd party plugins presets is supposed to be?

I'm referring to saving a preset with Logic's plugin window header, not within the plugin itself.

It could/should be one of the following, but Logic seems to have forgotten where they're supposed to go.

/LibraryApplication Support/Logic/Plugin Presets/

~/LibraryApplication Support/Logic/Plugin Presets/

~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Plug-In Settings

/Library/Audio/Presets

~/Library/Audio/Presets

Edited by TequilaKez

Thanks I thought that was the case.

But before that folder structure was generated automatically and the presets just went in without intervention by me.

It's as though I have to make those folders manually and tell logic where they are each time.

Apart from being tedious, something doesnt seem right.

Does anyone know exactly what the permissions should be on ~/Library/Audio/Presets?

Edited by TequilaKez

22 minutes ago, TequilaKez said:

But before that folder structure was generated automatically and the presets just went in without intervention by me.

Might be related to the migration you mentioned.
In essence, the "default user" on the old machine and the "default user" on the new machine are different accounts (with unique security settings)....even if they have the "same" name.
Is the drive name the same?
i.e. Mac HD vs Macintosh HD

If there "is" a second user account on your drive (or the old drive/account is still accessible), you should be able to copy the ~/Library/Audio/Presets/ folder to a (non-user) folder on the other OS drive.
Hope this makes sense?

Assuming you can get the data across...you should be able to copy/move it to the ~/Library/Audio/Presets/ folder. It is "possible" that you may need to grant/set permissions / change Security settings.

Edited by oscwilde

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so for anyone encountering this, and its come up a few times unanswered in this forum, here's the skinny.

So I found my presets in ~/Library/Audio/Presets/ on my old install and copied them over to ~/Library/Audio/Presets/ on the new one.

Now for plugins that I have saved presets for, Logic is now displaying them in the list and knows where to save new ones.

For plugins that I have never saved a preset for, logic still pops a dialog to the desktop, not knowing where to look.

So why might this be?

Looking at the permissions, on the old install (and my laptop) the permissions are

drwxr-xr-x  me:staff  Presets

where as the fresh install for some reason it's owned by root

drwxr-xr-x  root:staff  Presets

Presumably this means when the plugin installers tried to create the folder structure, they couldn't write to the folder. Then when logic doesn't find a folder there for a particular plugin it goes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So now with permissions fixed, for the rest of the plugins I guess I just need to run the plugin installers again.

Hope that helps.

Edited by TequilaKez