web site diddy...

dkgross

one of my projects this month was writing a little piece of music for the WalMart website. The company that hired me did the sound effects as well. I also write library stuff for these guys:

http://www.soundrangers.com

here's the walmart link (wish they'd used a better quality conversion tho..Sounds pretty harsh...sigh...)

http://toyland.ri-walmart.com/

yeah..I'm a bit stunned at the low-rez quality of the sounds. It's a VERY deep/busy website..but, sacrificing the audio quality THAT much wasn't really necessary...

yup.the harp is just an ESX24, played in. no loop :)

I'd love to watch a couple of kids log in to the website and see how long it takes them to turn the music off. :)

yeah..I'm a bit stunned at the low-rez quality of the sounds. It's a VERY deep/busy website..but, sacrificing the audio quality THAT much wasn't really necessary...

Not necessay at all. From a development standpoint they've got that thing broken up into so many pieces they could have kept your audio at a higher bitrate and even faded it in once it was loaded. Would have been worth the extra spit second wait for a higher bitrate on that stuff. I always insist on a certain level of quality (mainly because I'm designing and developing half the projects I'm writing music for so I can...LOL) when I write for interactive. It's far too easy to compress the crap out of it and totally lose the benefits of having it in there in the first place. Compress the bitrate too much and you go from having this nice ambient sound that brings the site to life to having something that distracts from the whole experience.

At any rate (no pun intended, but now that it's there I will take it), nice work Dave :)