Using 2 Apple TB 27" displays with Mac Mini M1?

kerochan

Hi everyone, not been on here for a while as I have been flat out touring the world, now getting back to the studio. Hoping everyone is well.

I use a Mac Mini M1 with 1 old Apple TB1 27" Display to the TB port and and an Apple 20" old Cinema display with an DVI adaptor to the Mac Mini HDMi port, all works fine.

I would like to replace the 20" Cinema Display with another 27" TB1 Display, is there an adaptor I can use for this.to work in the HDMi port?

Thank you

@kerochan have we had this discussion elsewhere? If you actually have the displays already I think I’d be tempted to plug them in and see. I also recall that somewhere on the web not long after the M1’s came out there were some Youtubers posting about hacks to get more than one display to work.

• Like 1

Video Support

Simultaneously supports up to two displays:
One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output supports
Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
Thunderbolt 2, DVI, and VGA output supported using adapters (sold separately)

HDMI display video output
Support for one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz
DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

found at: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP823?locale=en_US

idk if i would risk the money on daisy chaining maybe working? I would check out the benq pd322 as it has thunderbolt, hdmi, and display port. cant go wrong. 

Edited by StudioQ1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, StudioQ1 said:

Video Support

Simultaneously supports up to two displays:
One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output supports
Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
Thunderbolt 2, DVI, and VGA output supported using adapters (sold separately)

HDMI display video output
Support for one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz
DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

found at: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP823?locale=en_US

idk if i would risk the money on daisy chaining maybe working? I would check out the benq pd322 as it has thunderbolt, hdmi, and display port. cant go wrong. 

Thank you, I already have a 2nd TB 27 at home, and love it, and I want the two screens to be identical, providing someone can confirm that they can be daisy chained!

@kerochan I think I must be missing something. On one hand you say you have the two old Apple TB Monitors on the other you say you want to check before buying? I don’t think buying an old Apple TB monitor is a good investment at all these days.

As for checking before buying - as you noted the spec says it won’t work. But why not hump one of the two you have to the others location and try it? I expect the result will be it doesn’t work but as I noted above I believe there are some hacks possible to get two displays working so it may depend on how much time you want to spend finding the “how to’s” on the web. And then of course is the question about how much effort it will take to maintain the hack.

• Like 1