Hi,

I have to record & mix using headphones because I do this late at night and can’t disturb the family.

I have been using a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 PRO and they have served me well but it is time for a new pair. Plus I would hope the technology has advanced since I bought these in 2003!! 😄 🙂 

I would appreciate suggestions for a pair that is Flat Response, Closed Back and ‘good quality’.

I might be able to afford up to $500 - give or take. Might go higher if the recommendations are really strong.

Thanks!

Robeen

Years ago I have tested quite a few pro and semi-pro headphones in a music store (where I actually also used to buy the boxed upgrades of Logic Express).
My choice that also fitted my budget was AKG K271 MkII.

I still love it soundwise: clear transparent highs – at least those which I can still hear, hehe – and not too bass-y like e.g. Sennheisers. As "flat response" as I have wanted.
Also, excellent wear comfort.
However, the build quality is rather mediocre: I had to glue several plastic parts already, also one of the two included cables is pretty beaten up. But the parts are replaceable and can be ordered separately (at least I hope they still can; haven't looked it up in a long time). My model was likely still made in EU, but as far as I can tell, current models are already made in China, so I wouldn't expect the build quality got any better.

(Only for recording or practicing bass guitar via HX Stomp I'm also using some "no-idea-what-brand-that-is" phones which my late dad once bought. Way too bass-y for any regular use but great for exactly this purpose.)

Edited by loukash