Inverted Low pass filter envelope?

EmptyVesselband

Sometimes I still get a bit confused about filters but...  I believe Im needing a low pass -w an envelope follower ( been trying the Autofilter and phat fx). I want the highs gone when the volume is higher and to come back when quieter. But the envelop would be inverted right? Cant seem to get this result. Is there another way w stock plugins? Or something super cheap... Im probably just being confused and overlooking the way to do it 😕  

I bet you could do it in FabFilter Pro-MB by decoupling the internal sidechain from the stopband in the top band, and using the full range signal as the key input.

This would eliminate the problem with the Multipressor, that only the highs trigger the reduction. What you want is probably the broadband signal triggering the reduction.

While you can get filter characteristics/resonance, etc. I'm also not sure it's entirely "musical" enough for your purpose here, and it's not a stock plug-in.

Also, I'm sure there's a much more dedicated 3rd party plug-in for this purpose.

14 hours ago, Holger Lagerfeldt said:

I bet you could do it in FabFilter Pro-MB by decoupling the internal sidechain from the stopband in the top band, and using the full range signal as the key input.

I actually have MB. I didnt know about that sidechain option. Very cool and might be best Ill get for now. release time actually seems longer too, havent looked up what 100% means. Ofc they couldnt just put the values there. Will at least be a placeholder until I find something better. thanks 🙂  

On 12/3/2023 at 7:01 AM, EmptyVesselband said:

Sometimes I still get a bit confused about filters but...  I believe Im needing a low pass -w an envelope follower ( been trying the Autofilter and phat fx). I want the highs gone when the volume is higher and to come back when quieter. But the envelop would be inverted right? Cant seem to get this result. Is there another way w stock plugins? Or something super cheap... Im probably just being confused and overlooking the way to do it 😕  

Hi!

What is the purpose?

Do you want this effect on an audio track, on a particular synth?

If it is on a synth, there must be a way to modulate its filter internally.

If not, you can use the Modulator as a midi insert, and by clicking into to the destination pop-up menu, you can click on "learn plugin parameter", then click on the filter cutoff button of the Auto Filter that you inserted as an audio Fx.

Then, you will have to play with the Modulator's Output Level and Offset parameter to get the desired effect.

If it's on an audio track, there is a way to use the same process by Side-chaining the audio Via a compressor on an instrument track, soo you could use the Modulator Midi Fx to modulate and audio track.

Hope this will help you to achieve your goals!

PS: The Scripter Midi Fx has a "Midi to Plugin Parameter" fonction which can be useful in this situation, just try to dig in it!

Capturedcran2023-12-0412_15_51.thumb.jpg.92fab0ee644d24cf3d69002a593dd75d.jpg

• Like 2